Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2011 H-Talk convention

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    May be a change in plans for Lisa and I. Due to my current employment status, we may not be able to make this one.

I was told yesterday that "It just wasn't working out." by my now previous employer. I agreed that it certainly wasn't working out for me because I was paid only on commission of sales in my territory but forced to cover technical services for all territories when the company downsized by letting their Technical Service Manager go last year.

We plan on driving in, so flight plans are not a problem. We can also book whatever hotel is chosen as that can be cancelled within a day or so of actually being there. I suppose mainly I need to have some idea what our cost will be so I can add it to gas, food, tequila and vodka expenses required.
    Sorry to hear about the job issue... I hear the economy is going in the tank again from numerous sources. So far (thankfully and Praise God), I am busy as I can be... And I hope it stays 'hot' outside into early October so I can make all I can before what appears to be a lean winter coming.

Maybe hustle some resi work on the side to get some $$$ in one's pocket?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Sorry to hear about the job issue... I hear the economy is going in the tank again from numerous sources. So far (thankfully and Praise God), I am busy as I can be... And I hope it stays 'hot' outside into early October so I can make all I can before what appears to be a lean winter coming.

Maybe hustle some resi work on the side to get some $$$ in one's pocket?
    I am not physically capable of doing installations without great pain. However, I am thinking about selling training classes and seminars to local distributors and larger contractors. This is something that Heybob had told me someone in my position does in his area, and it is a great idea.

No one is going to be comfortable letting loose of savings until after the next presidential election. Government has everyone so scared right now that they are afraid to let any liquid assets be depleted by buying a new HVAC system.

One of the things that contractors should be selling consumers on is that with less then 1% interest on savings and with the low interest rate on loans, that if they can save 25-30% on their heating/cooling bills, the best place for them to put their money is in a new HVAC system.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I am not physically capable of doing installations without great pain. However, I am thinking about selling training classes and seminars to local distributors and larger contractors. This is something that Heybob had told me someone in my position does in his area, and it is a great idea.

No one is going to be comfortable letting loose of savings until after the next presidential election. Government has everyone so scared right now that they are afraid to let any liquid assets be depleted by buying a new HVAC system.

One of the things that contractors should be selling consumers on is that with less then 1% interest on savings and with the low interest rate on loans, that if they can save 25-30% on their heating/cooling bills, the best place for them to put their money is in a new HVAC system.
    Good idea on the classes... I fully understand about the physical requirements of change-outs. My business is more repair than replacement... I get into some of the strangest repair issues one could imagine... and charge big $$$'s for it. Nitch market to say the least.

I just got the Email confirmation from the hotel: It is a 'Hyatt Place' (the bargain arm of Hyatt)... the rooms will be about $70/nite, then the usual taxes (need to research the taxes). The convention gathering will be at the hotel... as the state parks all close at dark and there is a strict 'no alcohol' rule at state parks. Location of the hotel is I-85 North at Pleasant Hill Rd (Please do not try to book the rooms yet... as I have not given them the official 'Go'... and there may be some confusion).

Will write up the details over the weekend.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Another question for you guys/gals to answer for the H-talk convention, this one is about food:

I plan to cater with BBQ.... here are some selections so we can have what we want:
    Meat (we get 2 choices):
    Pork, Beef, Turkey, Chicken
    Sides (we get 3 choices):
    Potato Salad, Coleslaw, BBQ beans, Green beans, Corn/cob, mac and cheese
    Dinner rolls and sweet/unsweet tea are included.
    Please vote for the 2 meats and 3 sides you prefer.

Two desserts will be provided: Banana Pudding and Peach Cobbler
    (Please vote on which one you prefer... I can go heave on that one)

Also, I will provide Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite, along with a few brands of beer... Please vote for which brand of beer you prefer (please no low production specialties... you can purchase that locally and bring it if you choose).

The voting will run through midnite Sunday Aug 7, with results tallied Monday. THX guys/gals... lets make this a good time we call can enjoy.

John/GA
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Another question for you guys/gals to answer for the H-talk convention, this one is about food:

I plan to cater with BBQ.... here are some selections so we can have what we want:
    Meat (we get 2 choices):
    Pork, Beef, Turkey, Chicken
    Sides (we get 3 choices):
    Potato Salad, Coleslaw, BBQ beans, Green beans, Corn/cob, mac and cheese
    Dinner rolls and sweet/unsweet tea are included.
    Please vote for the 2 meats and 3 sides you prefer.

Two desserts will be provided: Banana Pudding and Peach Cobbler
    (Please vote on which one you prefer... I can go heave on that one)

Also, I will provide Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite, along with a few brands of beer... Please vote for which brand of beer you prefer (please no low production specialties... you can purchase that locally and bring it if you choose).

The voting will run through midnite Sunday Aug 7, with results tallied Monday. THX guys/gals... lets make this a good time we call can enjoy.

John/GA
    I like Pork, Chicken, coleslaw, bbqbeans and corn, peach cobbler and Budweiser

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I like Pork, Chicken, coleslaw, bbqbeans and corn, peach cobbler and Budweiser
    I can tell you are from Texas... except for the beer part...

I would choose the same thing... albeit Potato Salad rather than corn.
    Personally, I like BudLight Lime... or Miller Lite... However what I like is optional.

Folks, we need more votes!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I can tell you are from Texas... except for the beer part...

I would choose the same thing... albeit Potato Salad rather than corn.
    Personally, I like BudLight Lime... or Miller Lite... However what I like is optional.

Folks, we need more votes!
    If we can make it, we're good with mancow's choices. Hell, Steve and I had everyone eating steamed crabs in Baltimore and Spotts had us eating bull testacles in Colorado, you think this crowd is discriminating?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    If we can make it, we're good with mancow's choices. Hell, Steve and I had everyone eating steamed crabs in Baltimore and Spotts had us eating bull testacles in Colorado, you think this crowd is discriminating?
    Not sure I want to eat bull balls again... someone got me to do that in Texas once... .

Always try to accommodate folks when I can.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    OK guys and gals... one more question and I will post the final details:

I REALLY need some idea of how many folks plan to come... Please post and note how many will be in your party. Rates are better if I tell them more will come... and I also need to know how much room for the party.

SOOO: If only a few respond... I will have to assume this will be a small gathering. If too many come after they did not say they would... well it is NOT my fault if prices are too high or the meeting room is too small...

SO PLEASE let me know approx how many will be in your party... THX!

OH, BTW: For the folks that cannot make a decision without numbers: Cost per person for the Sat evening gathering; including the meeting room, food, a couple of beers (bring more if you want) will be around $20/person.

GA
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I'll be there. Maybe with a guest in tow, maybe not.

Post Likes
    Me and the wife makes 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
    I'll be there. Maybe with a guest in tow, maybe not.
    THX! The way the meeting rooms go... if we are in the 20-25 folks area... all we need is one room. If we go over that number... we will need 2 rooms (double cost)... They will pull back one of the partitions.

I have to commit to how many folks soon... So please let me know a rough idea.

THX a bunch!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Me and the wife makes 2
    OK, that makes 4/5... and I am sure Glen will be there... that makes 5/6.

If Karen Enos comes (MEP Jobs)... that will make 6/7... . and I hope Ken (K-fridge)... so we are at 8/9.

Every confirmed person helps planning a bunch!

THX again!!!!!

GA
    Last edited by Dad; 08-06-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I wanted to add, I also like beef tenderloin and jumbo shrimp. If it's all you can eat, I'll pass on the veggies

Post Likes

Smile

epa with a friend add 2
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by epacertified View Post
    epa with a friend add 2
    THX EPA Cert... that makes 10/11
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I wanted to add, I also like beef tenderloin and jumbo shrimp. If it's all you can eat, I'll pass on the veggies
    How about this Ace... when we go out to eat Thursday evening... lets go somewhere one can get endless whatever they want.

The Golden Corrals here are really good!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    How about this Ace... when we go out to eat Thursday evening... lets go somewhere one can get endless whatever they want.

The Golden Corrals here are really good!
    That'll be alright with me. I hope I can make it by Thursday at supper time. I'll probably have to drive to the Alabama line on Wedsnday and leave for Atlantal early thursday morning. I know it's about 120 miles from the Al border to B'ham and I think from B'ham to Atlanta is another 3 hours, so I should be there in time.

Post Likes
    That'll be alright with me. I hope I can make it by Thursday at supper time. I'll probably have to drive to the Alabama line on Wedsnday and leave for Atlantal early thursday morning. I know it's about 120 miles from the Al border to B'ham and I think from B'ham to Atlanta is another 3 hours, so I should be there in time.
    That last leg is about right. I have driven from Atlanta to about the Miss/LA line in one day... then to Houston the next (through Shreveport, then down US-59). Give yourself about 35 to 45 minutes to cross Atlanta off time... and if you arrive after around 4:00 PM in the Atlanta area... add about 15-30 minutes to head out of town on the east side. Remember the time change is set your watch AHEAD 1 hour at the AL/GA line. The time we get together for dinner is more about when folks can make it... as opposed to a specific time. The Golden Corral is a mile or so from the hotel (actually there are a bunch of restaurants in the area).

IMO if you can get as far as reasonable across Miss the first day...you will be fine. The long drive is across LA... and it is boring.

In the Atlanta area... you will be going out I-85 North (which on a map is more like east), about 6 miles outside the 285 loop (bypass). Exit at Pleasant Hill Rd (exit 104 or 105) and you are a block or so from our 'ground zero').

When we get closer, I will post lots of details and map links.

Where is RoboTeq... We have lots of Mexican restaurants here with good Martguerita's!!!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    When is the show?

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in