Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Thanks guys. For the first time in my working life, I feel that a little luck may be needed. I didn't count on ever being considered too old.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Thanks guys. For the first time in my working life, I feel that a little luck may be needed. I didn't count on ever being considered too old.
    What amazes me is: Experience means nothing anymore. Folks only care about $$$ (how little things cost).

IMO this is a result of irresponsible financial policy... The only thing important in corporate America is the next quarter's numbers. Few bosses seem to understand we need to plan for next year and five and ten years out... rather than only worry about next quarter.

Down the road... they will WISH they had your experience... and may well pay your consulting fee to get it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    What amazes me is: Experience means nothing anymore. Folks only care about $$$ (how little things cost).

IMO this is a result of irresponsible financial policy... The only thing important in corporate America is the next quarter's numbers. Few bosses seem to understand we need to plan for next year and five and ten years out... rather than only worry about next quarter.

Down the road... they will WISH they had your experience... and may well pay your consulting fee to get it.
    You have hit on one of the things that bothers me most about supply houses these days. There was one that I would go to before any others … notice I said was. They made a change a few years back, now there is no one at the counter with any knowledge of the trade. They had two great guys that could figure out an answer to the problem. Or they could tell you who could, even sending you some place else. Now, forgetaboutit … Now even the places that have a few good guys left are overworking them.

Back in the old days you would go into a supply house and get insulted right away …pick an insult they knew them all … of course you would insult them back and everyone would have a good laugh. Those places are rare now … I miss it.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    You have hit on one of the things that bothers me most about supply houses these days. There was one that I would go to before any others … notice I said was. They made a change a few years back, now there is no one at the counter with any knowledge of the trade. They had two great guys that could figure out an answer to the problem. Or they could tell you who could, even sending you some place else. Now, forgetaboutit … Now even the places that have a few good guys left are overworking them.

Back in the old days you would go into a supply house and get insulted right away …pick an insult they knew them all … of course you would insult them back and everyone would have a good laugh. Those places are rare now … I miss it.

I miss it too Charlie. Especially now that I am on the downsized side of the equation. My best contractors have always been the ones that to hear them talk about me at first, you would think I was a real scumbag. My last boss hated that comradery between the contractor and myself.

Believe it or not... I have one of those 'good old shops' in my area... and yeah they get most of my business. One of the counter guys and I exchange conservative stuff by Email... some of it ends up here on ARP.

One of the old=timers at the counter retired Friday 9/2... guy is in his 60's. All of us pitched in and gave him something special... and the manager of the branch got lots of food for an all day party.

Interesting thing: This branch has the best numbers of the whole metro area for that supply house chain... go figure.

IMO we are missing the 'old school' guys... The ones that can see the larger picture. When we get a few of them back... we may get our economy going again.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Back to the convention; Lisa asked me if she should send the Poker Pig to Atlanta. If any of the poker players are reading this, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Back to the convention; Lisa asked me if she should send the Poker Pig to Atlanta. If any of the poker players are reading this, let me know.
    Sounds cool. My wife will bring her keyboard to jam it up a little. John's piano which he has graciously offered is to far out of tune but the key board will be great anyhow. Come on down robo. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Drop by any time Charles I promise if I'm not here someone will insult you for me
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Announcement about the Atlanta convention

Back in the winter, I volunteered to host an H-talk convention here in Atlanta. Some plans were made, and details were posted.

I am not sure what the reasons are (and am not really interested); however RSVP'ed attendance is something like nothing...

Due to this lack of interest and the hassle associated with putting on such a gathering... along with personal issues (my Dad's health is taking a turn down)...

I have cancelled the convention in Atlanta.

A personal Email or PM will go to each person that RSVP'ed to me... so there will be no mis-understanding.

I am sorry it did not work out... however not all things do.

I will not be at ComfortTech, as I have another commitment that weekend... you all have a good time for me.

Cheers!

John/GA
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Going to Atlanta

Gotta Find someone to have a drink with..............................
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Me amd Little ME
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Guess we'll have to find something to do. I'm in NY until Friday, but I'll be around Saturday.
    EPA - when are you flying in? If you need a few suggestions on things to do shoot me an email (in my profile) and I can shoot you some ideas.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728 LastLast