Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    house is about 2000 sqft, basement and 2 floors, basement isn't heating, my question is do i need to have a return (on a second floor) high up on the wall for better air circulation or ones by the floor will do. thanks

dennis, are you having a problem with your system?

no it's a new systme, but i dont wanna have any problems with it in future

Leave it alone if your comfortable.I'm sure you have other things to worry about.Let the system do it's job,and until a problem ;not sufficient heat or cooling occurs,don't sweat it.

Originally posted by dennis_ru
    house is about 2000 sqft, basement and 2 floors, basement isn't heating, my question is do i need to have a return (on a second floor) high up on the wall for better air circulation or ones by the floor will do. thanks

I'm not quite sure what's going on with this post.
    You have a new system installed recently and the basement is not heating. You were asked if you are having a problem with your system and you posted a reply of no.
    If your basement is not heating, I am assuming that it will not meet the temperature set point you have chosen....is that correct?
    If it is meeting it's temperature setting requirements, you can assume that the design is adequate and you need not worry about it as suggested by Jeff.

it's a new system is still under construction, so i was wondering about a return on second floor,

Registers in the ceiling and return low on the wall.

what's about if my suply grill is low on the floor, should be return be on ceiling or not? (on second floor)

heat rises and your returns on the second floor should be near the cieling in each room and the hall if this can be done. on the first floor returns should be near the floor to pull back the cold air in winter
    this is ideal but not always applyabe

"basement isn't heating"
    Do you mean basement is not heated ?
    Any way yes you need a high return and ceiling supplys, for a preimum system use "b" boxes in the cieling with curved blade diffusers and zone your system with over sized ducting to the zones so you dont have to bypass much airflow.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Common misconception but the location,high or low ,for returns has very,very little effect on operation or comfort.

You do need a return on each floor and a return "path" from all rooms .back to the main return ,as a minimum .

Originally posted by dash
    Common misconception but the location,high or low ,for returns has very,very little effect on operation or comfort.

You do need a return on each floor and a return "path" from all rooms .back to the main return ,as a minimum .
    Dash, under the scenario of a second story with floor supplies and a floor return what supply grill face velocity do you set your system up for?

Hmm Return Air placement is important

Dennis here is a reprint of one of my posts that may help you.

Air Flow
    Chip where are the returns? How many and in what rooms?

It is very difficult to heat or cool a room that does not have a return in it. Here returns are in all rooms except Kitchens, Bathrooms and Laundry Rooms. In my home, I have High and Low Louvered Returns. That way for the Winter, on Labor Day, I close the top and open the bottom. Then in the Spring on Memorial Day, I open the top and close the bottom. I can also adjust the flow in the rooms by how much each return is opened. For example on the East side of the home, the returns are reduced for the Summer and on the West side, wide open. This way I do not have to adjust the supply side. I call it Xs Return Air Balancing!

P.S. Booster Fans DO NOT increase Flow!

The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast