Thread: Smoke alarm Question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Post Likes
    I just installed an attic AC system. I said I would put a hard wired smoke alarm in the attic. It's not code in philadelphia to install one, but I promised the customer. The problem is there is not 115 VAC in the attic. I had the electrician run 230 volts for the air handler. Is there a 230v smoke alarm available. How much is it(approx)? I tried Home Depot and Lowes, but they do not sell 230 v smoke alarms. Maybe an electrical supply will have one?

I would appreciate any help.

Post Likes
    Sounds like what you are trying to do is not allowed by national code.Are there any 115 volt circuits running through the attic?

Post Likes
    You could use a step down transformer to power it. Not sure if its code though.

Post Likes
    The issue is overcurrent protection.

Post Likes

smac?

What if the transformer fails due to fire?

Post Likes
    My wife uses our smoke alarm to know when dinners ready,
    So anythings possible !
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    If the unit shuts down so does the smoke detector doesn't it? If the transformer that supplies power to the unit also supplies power to the smoke detector and the power is lost due to fire then smoke detector is disabled defeating the whole purpose of having it to begin with.

Post Likes
    All the hardired smoke detectors I have seen have a battery back-up. So what's the big deal when the power is lost.

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Then in that case the battery has to be changed anyway so why not just use a standard 9v. detector?

Post Likes
    You should have had that hack electrician put a sub panel in the attic and then you could run a 115 volt circuit off its own breaker. This would also give you some attic lights and a receptacle so that the slob who has to go up in the attic to service and maintain the equipment could have some light without having to drag a cord and light up there and he would also have a place to plug up his vacuum cleaner or 115 volt h-10 if neccesary.

Post Likes

corny

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by corny
    You should have had that hack electrician put a sub panel in the attic and then you could run a 115 volt circuit off its own breaker. This would also give you some attic lights and a receptacle so that the slob who has to go up in the attic to service and maintain the equipment could have some light without having to drag a cord and light up there and he would also have a place to plug up his vacuum cleaner or 115 volt h-10 if neccesary.

Here in MI that is code. You must have an outlet and a light right by the unit also a walkway to it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by smac
    Jeffkillen: Your first reply in your threads responce is, If your unit shuts down. Jeff that is the whole purpose of the smoke detector. So you shouldn't have to worry about anything else at that point. So your using the smoke detector for a unit shutdown feature instead of an alarm? This is the cheap version of a ductwork smoke detector.I'm not second guessing you but does an alarm sound when smoke is detected after power shutdown to alert the H.O.? It was my understanding that the point was to sound an alarm if there would happen to be a problem with the air handler itself,or fire in the attic.

Post Likes

smac

Exactly!

Post Likes

smac

Va.Code requires A light and 115v. outlet within I think, 7 feet of an air handler in an attic,Also a catwalk to the a/h.I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.But to go back to the question that started the thread,It would be much simpler to track down a 115volt circuit in the attic and add a junction box,splice off a seperate circuit just for that independant smoke alarm and anything else needed to sevice that unit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in