Thread: looking for a staple gun for copper pipe

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Post Likes
    we do alot of copper gas piping, about 2 years ago I saw an article about a staple gun that would work for copper pipe in a publication. can't remember the publication, can't find a staple gun...

Post Likes
    Never seen such a thing.

It still blows my mind that copper pipe is still used for gas pipe anywhere, especially natural gas, but I wouldn't even use it for LP.

Post Likes
    we do a lot of installs of gas piping and thats all we use on LP. WE do use black pipe on our natural gas installations
    On the underground part of the LP install its copper tubing also

Post Likes
    Why would it "Blow your mind" to see copper pipe used for gaslines? We have been using it for about 15 years in our area. We have no more problems with it than black pipe. In fact with black pipe and fittings we have from offshore these days, we have way more leaks to fix in black pipe than copper.If we had to go back to using all black pipe I would quit the gas business.

Post Likes

Black Adder

You use copper for natural? Inspectors around here have a fit if they see ANY copper used for natural. We are allowed to use copper for LP but not natural due to the reaction (black flakes) between copper & the sufides in natural gas.
    Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Post Likes
    Been using copper for gas for at least 15 years, have had no problems with flaking on copper at all. Only problems we have are hacks installing it and making it look like a hell of a mess.

Post Likes
    we have used copper for many years for natural gas with no problems. as a matter of fact the utility company used to install gas lamps in front of houses, used a saddle tap type valve and ran copper from that. most of them are probably 40 years old, i have never seen a problem on one.

central nj

Post Likes
    GradyWhite244 is right, copper pipe and natural gas has a reaction that causes black flakes to appear. We usually use black steel, but have been using a lot of ward flex(stainless steel flexable pipe with a yellow plastic coating).

Post Likes
    You guys need to understand that this is some what of a regional issue. Around here they have been using copper lines for nat. gas for over 30 years. The reaction that you speak of is not from nat. gas but one of the chemicals that some area gas suppliers put into the gas to give it it's smell. That is why you can always use it for LP. LP has a smell without an additive. Which chemical they use, and in what moderation is the key to any problems. Our gas company here has said it was ok and used copper themselves for over 30 years like I said. I have never seen a real problem with it if installed properly.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Post Likes
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Sulphur content dictates how much copper sulphate is produced. Copper under ground will last longer than above ground because of expansion/contraction of pipe allows sulphate to flake. We used copper to push thru old gas services when repairing leaking service but it also would eventually restrict. Have not done that in years

Post Likes
    I guess my area has to much sulphur in the gas and to many hack construction practices. If the gas company here sees any copper gas pipe they shut the gas off and red tag it.

Post Likes
    I have one of those staple guns and I am not impressed. It shoots a metal staple with a plastic clip attached which is a great idea...if they held. They do not hold up under any kind of pressure. I highly recommend not wasting your money on one.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I have one for romex and they hold real well, you could use romex to hold the pipe and then staple it.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in