Hmm

I guess I don't understand staged heat. I thought it meant that the backup strips came on in stages as the temp got colder to keep up with demand without using them all as soon as the heat pump became ineffecient. But what controls the stages? Do they need an outside thermostat? Does the inside thermostat do it? Does it require some optional equipment? I would like for the heat pump to shut down when it gets too cold for it to do any good. I want to be informed before I decide what to tell my professional how I really want it set up. He will be hooking up a White-Rodgers Comfort-Set 90 Series thermostat with outside thermostat. 3 1/2 ton CPLT-42 heat pump/air with AEPT 060-00C air handler with variable speed blower. All Goodman, and HKR-15 15kw heat. Can this be staged to come on 5kw at a time? What is the best set up?

Why don't you call the Internet company you bought the equipment from and ask them?

aux heat one or two strips emergency heat all 3 strips.

With the AEPT, staging is done though the computer, so it can adjust air flow for each heat/cool combination. You can use one or two outdoor stats.
    With a two stage stat, you can have Hp only to ODT setting, or a variety of combinations of staging, depending on how the computer is programmed.
    Normally you do not turn the HP off when the strips come on as it is still producing heat at less than half the cost of the strips.

I would not say this setup is complicated, but there are 12 wires that go to the thermostat/HP, wires that have to be cut, jumpers added/removed and dip sws set. Plus outdoor stat and Humidistat have to be wired.

It certainly narrows the field of folks who can install this one correctly.

Good Luck.
    Jax

Smile

Thanks Jax and Airworx. I was advised by one installer to not stage the strips but it seems logical and more economical to have them come on in stages as the outside temp. falls. Is this the best way to have it set up, especially if the capability is already built in the unit?

No need to stage the strips, the amount of electric heat required to assist the heat pump in maintaining the temperature in the home will not change, 2 heaters on for 5 minutes uses the same electricity as 1 on for 10

No absolute need, but having 5kW on for a long time will produce more comfortable discharge temps than 15kW here and there. I'd rather have a steady 100 degree discharge than 85, 120, 85, 120, etc. It's the same amount of juice in the end, though, and the same energy bill.

So if the total 15kw comes on it would be more like an oversized system than if the 5kw came on as the outsice temp gets colder?

Chances are, the air handler is wired to have 10kw as 1st stage then 5kw as the 2nd stage. The stat should be able to handle that without any rewiring. Most heat pump stats can't stage the backup, the 1F90s usually can.