Thread: same gauges used for r-410 & r-22.

Post Likes
    A tech I know uses a new set of gauges that can be used for 410 and r22.My question is can you use them from unit to unit without cleaning them out.I was wondering if oil residue from the different units would be enough to contaminate the units.I'm new to the field.I couldn't read the literature that came with the gauges because I didn't buy them, but I noticed he didn't either.

Post Likes
    AS MR "T" USED TO SAY I PITY THE FOOL THAT DOES THAT. Don't do it is dangerous. The pressures are much higher with 410.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough.These gauges are designed for use of both refrigerents.My question was did they have to be cleaned out when switching from one refrigerent to the other.

Post Likes
    Don't know haven't seen them, but I would think so. Due too cross contamination of oils.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    My r410a guages do have the 22 saturation temps on them also, but I keep them for 410a only, so as not to contaiminate 410 systems.

Bad idea to use them for both.

Post Likes
    Oil contamination with will the R410 compressor over time.
    Sounds like a compressor change out in the making.

Post Likes
    I doubt you have to worry about a catastophre using one set of gages for 410 and 22.

Post Likes

410A and R22 gauges

All I know is the 410A system uses POE and the R22 uses mineral oil. R22 is not compatible with POE and 410A is not compatible with mineral oil. For the cost of a set of gauges I don't know if it is worth the possible problems.

So, no, I don't see the practicality of trying to use the same gauges.

Buy a second set...http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/icons/icon12.gif

Post Likes

Re: 410A and R22 gauges

Originally posted by ruud-man
    All I know is the 410A system uses POE and the R22 uses mineral oil. R22 is not compatible with POE and 410A is not compatible with mineral oil. For the cost of a set of gauges I don't know if it is worth the possible problems.

So, no, I don't see the practicality of trying to use the same gauges.

Buy a second set...http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/icons/icon12.gif
    The amount of oil in your gages is not measurable enough to make difference. It would be like 1 drop of water(or less) in 40 gallons of gasoline. Just my opinion.

10. Likes iDred liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I looked at a set of those, but I like to have better resolution on my compound gauge when I'm working on R-22 systems than the gauge had.

If your manifold and hoses are getting enough oil built up in them to make cross contamination a real concern, you are doing something wrong in my opinion.

Post Likes
    Have you ever gone on a call, where some one has over charged a system by a couple of pounds. If so, when you removed the excess charge, you also pulled oil with it. How do you know you got enough of the oil out of yout manifold set, that you won't cross the oils when you go on a r410a call next.

R22 is more forgiving with moisture then R410a, so youo could be adding moisture also.

Why risk it.

Post Likes
    how about the one time you forget to dump the hoses before you connect them to another system. that would be about 4 oz af refrigerant being put into the system
    wonder how 410a would react to that
    and it should not happen but we all know it does
    two sets are the best

Post Likes
    I have a set of those gauges and asked the same question. I showed em to a co worker and he bought a set. He being more experienced than i in the field I asked him if he swaps gauges between 22 and 410. He said he doesn't worry about it.

What I've done is i have two sets of hoses that I swap back and forth. i work pretty much 70/30 between 22 and 410. The 22 being the majority. The gauges have a charging orifice that allows me to charge liquid on the lowside without slugging and it makes charging a system sooooo easy.

http://www.stridetool.com/imperial/service.html

Post Likes
    I think Mark made the wise comment. Look at the gauges the operating pressures are very low on the scale for R-22 and difficult at best to be accurately read. many of the R-410A gauges have 20 PSIG marks on the high side. That leaves an awful large interperatation when looking at R-22 saturation temps. The other kicker may be oil but worse yet refrigerant. Your gauges always have refrigerant in them, they will purge for 20 minutes when disconnected. Why subject your equipment to that?

Get a set for each and be done with it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Look at the gauges the operating pressures are very low on the scale for R-22 and difficult at best to be accurately read. many of the R-410A gauges have 20 PSIG marks on the high side. That leaves an awful large interperatation when looking at R-22 saturation temps.
    That's my concern with it. Gauges are most accurate in 25-75% of full scale. You'll be pushing the lower end of that range on a R-22 system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in