How do keep a customer from using your knowledge,but not your company?I get these prints for HUGE GEO radiant,wild stuff and it takes alot of time to figure them out. I try BUDGET questions and it seems like I chase my tail.The builders do not let me meet with homeowners and will not even give me a meeting with themselves. I do not need pricing practice,but I would like an answer from someone who runs into this.I do alot of TRACK and semi- custom homes for these builders so I do not wish to blow them up!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Give bids but don't give recommendations.

Don't give them loads calculations, till after they have paid you for the job.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

I get frustrated by this too, but finally just recently learned to just "deal" with it.

This will sound horrible, but I hate when I go to a Middle eastern or Asian persons house and they want options for 8 different combinations AND ask for load calcs...
    I just look at it like its good practice.
    I try my damndest to sell them my company and myself, but 99% of the time its an exercise in pricing...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

You been used and abused. When we bid radiant,steam or any other job that entails hours of work, $500 charge and if we get the job we credit the customer. In the pas we wasted a lot of time and travel just for them to say "NO THANKS". This way you get serious people who KNOW your serious.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    I also bill for consulting and design.

I have one builder that pays me to bid a job and he is a great guy he knows what it is like.
    He is a great builder and I treat him right and he returns the favor.
    As long as I get a bill in be4 wed. at 4:30 then a check is sent off thursday.
    But he is the only one.
    The rest are o.k. some I can talk to and some I can't. Some I can tell them a standard price some want it down to the penny then it takes over thirty days to get my pay.