Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Doc, I can assure you that I am looking forward to the highest latent capacity I can afford (now I'm going to go look up latent capacity). Actually, my clients often tell me that I obviously have a lot of latent mental capacity! Is that the same as unused brain potential? I don't know if it is a compliment or not.

It's a very simple sale point but true,You'll spend 20,000+ on a vehicle,why not spend half that on a heating/cooling system that will serve you for years?

Hmm Data

Nathan, forgot to ask, have you had or is the HVAC contractor doing a heat loss/gain analysis so you properly size the units? Correct sizing is very very important for "comfort"!

You stated that your parents may visit. The number one complaint by "older" homeowners of their new 90+ furnaces is the temperature of the air coming out is COLD!

The point I am attempting to make (as I was an accountant many years ago) is the decision of which HVAC system to purchase today, is very complicated and difficult.

Good Luck

The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

Xavier, is the complaint over cooler air on 1st lower stage? Or is it a complaint for both stages?

I had not heard of this issue with higher efficiency furnaces. I had heart this with heat pumps. Is this a common complaint with 90%+ furnaces? If so, why is it a problem with this type of furnace?

Forgot to add, the architect did a Manual J and Title 24 calculation but I plan to ask the HVAC contractor to re-do and re-confirm the Manual J as a condition of the contract signing.

[Edited by nathan9999 on 04-24-2005 at 07:28 PM]

That Doc he's a smart one for sure and I love the way he guns them carrier guys down. He couldn't have picked a better name.

Long live Doc Holiday
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Nathan - for what it's worth, the Rheem Modulating furnace that I just had installed this week does not put out cold air at lowest capacity (40%). We've been around 30-35 deg this weekend and it just keeps humming along at 40%, the air flow is low but the air temp is warm.

Nathan... Ignore the low temperature complaints.

The furnace when powered up will go through a calibration cycle. It will fire itself at various rates and by sensing the supply air temperature, will program itself to operate at the mid point of the designed temperature rise at any firing rate.

The software in the board and thermostat, determine the firing rate and the board tells the blower how fast to run. At 40% firing rate you will have the same temperature rise you would at 100%. The volume will be low to the point you think you have baseboard heat. In your mild climate, the furnace will stay at the 40% most of the time I am sure and modulate up when that is simply not enough. There is an option for the installer, if well trained, to modify the temperatur rise but in most cases its best left alone.

JDew, nice to see an owner testimonial.

Doc, just one more question. The AC unit will use the VS blower on the furnace, right? So if I have the 16 or 18 SEER Rheem/Ruud AC I will also have a VS feature on the AC.

Thanks again.

Yes.

Nathan,
    Better save next years and the next years vacations to save up for the repair costs and short life span of the new equipment yur purchasing.
    Of course, I'm a KISS man, and its only my opinion

born, so your experience is that the higher efficiency units with features such as VS and multi-stage are less reliable? I have read that from others on this site as well. In your opinion, is this just a function of new untested technology, improper installation, etc.?

I plan on getting an extended warranty and will try to confirm the elements of a quality intsallation and just hope for the best.

I do appreciate the honest, if differing, feedback.

Lol he's never even seen one.

Actually, Doc, I have seen one ( maybe two ).
    No Nathan, My opinions are based in my experience. Which I readily admit, with higher eff. systems, are little. One experience was with a variable speed, system, eff ???, unit five years old, blower motor went out, cost 642.00 to repair. Where did the efficiency go then.
    I believe that the more complicated a system is, the more problems that will incur, and the more cost to operate and repair. I see that all the time with a/c units VS heat pumps.
    In general the heat pumps save money, but around here, they usually won't last as long, and will incur more repair costs. That is why I never recommend a heat pump unit for a rental house. Too costly for the owner.
    Its like the difference between an old sedan and a fully-loaded cadillac. You may be more comfortable in the caddy, but if you had to keep it for 15 years, and repair all the problems encountered, would you buy the cadillac ( power windows, seats, ect ) or the sedan. I opt for the sedan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast