Thread: Electric radiant heat question

Post Likes

Electric radiant heat question

Does anyone know what the spacing is between the wires in the plaster ceiling. I assume it was based on heat loss, but was there an average spacing betwwen the wires inbeded in the plaster.

Thanks for the input

Post Likes
    Has no one every had experience with this ??

Post Likes
    Thermodynamically, depends on gauge and power dissipation per foot of the wire. Based on just voltage and arcing, minimum spacing about 30,000 microns (distance, not pressure). Type of plaster used, whether lath of metal mesh used as the base, what type of finish selected. LOTS of variables.

BTW, ya must be uber-rich to be able to afford the electric bills for resistive heat, a GW denier, etc. <G>, there are lots more efficient and environmenally green methods of heating, and more importantly, more cost effective.

Since somebody talked you into this heating method, better go what with they recommend, vs. trying to second guess somebody online.

Do what your installer recommends, or even your plaster guy ; worse that can happen is you have an 'unexpected' "popcorn finish' ceiling <G>

Post Likes
    i don't know, but i was told that some manufactures make pretty efficiant electric radiant. i think watts was one of them. is this true? i have never used or installed it, but i was thinking about puting it in my hot tub room. not for main heat, but just to warm the floor a little bit. now you just made me go do more research, damn you junkhound, i just wanted to relax today and now you gave me something to do.lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    Thermodynamically, depends on gauge and power dissipation per foot of the wire. Based on just voltage and arcing, minimum spacing about 30,000 microns (distance, not pressure). Type of plaster used, whether lath of metal mesh used as the base, what type of finish selected. LOTS of variables.

BTW, ya must be uber-rich to be able to afford the electric bills for resistive heat, a GW denier, etc. <G>, there are lots more efficient and environmenally green methods of heating, and more importantly, more cost effective.

Since somebody talked you into this heating method, better go what with they recommend, vs. trying to second guess somebody online.

Do what your installer recommends, or even your plaster guy ; worse that can happen is you have an 'unexpected' "popcorn finish' ceiling <G>
    Uber rich no....perhaps I should explain myself better. I am doing a reno where I am converting a house that is resistance heating. Some of the ductork will be in the attic and was wondering the spacing BETWEEN the wires to cut in registers without disturbing the wires.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Post Likes
    Turn it on, & use a thermal camera or laser temp 'gun' to find the hot spots/cables.

Post Likes
    any suggestions

I think what you are asking is akin to locating buried wires, only in your case instead of digging a hole you want to cut a hole in the ceiling for ductwork? True?

More detailed info if you apply for pro membership and post in the technical section. Basically, one would want to use the same type radio frequency wire detection equipment pocos use to locate buried wires.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Turn it on, & use a thermal camera or laser temp 'gun' to find the hot spots/cables.
    Thanks, was thinking of using my thermal gun but wasn't sure how accurrate it would be as it reads the temperature of an area related to the distance.

Post Likes
    any suggestions

Basically, one would want to use the same type radio frequency wire detection equipment pocos use to locate buried wires.
    That's a great idea junkhound, will try that !!!

Thanks

Post Likes
    have you talked with the manufacture? they can (usually) help with this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    have you talked with the manufacture? they can (usually) help with this.
    Not sure who the manufacture would be it's just wires buried in the plaster and 220 stat. House was built in the 70 s

Post Likes
    any suggestions

Basically, one would want to use the same type radio frequency wire detection equipment pocos use to locate buried wires.
    Went to purchase one and found out they won't work thru the plaster will only read thru the wire insulation. Tried a voltage pen and temp gun with no luck, could not see where wire was and where the space between was. Crawled up in attic and moved insulation away.......... to see I'm b***hed !!!!! Could just make out the staples poking thru......the wires were approximently 1 1/2" apart. So much for saving the old radaint heating system. Thanks for all the input !!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in