Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Plan of action

Technical/troubleshooting
    I’ll ask the technician for the following (as recommended by acwizard):
    remove air filter, check to see if unit is overfired, check heat rise. This is all relevant to code 33, check wiring harness from inducer fan to variable speed furnace control, check condensate piping , check for obstructions in vent pipes(code 42) Variable furnace control may be defective.
    Financial
    a. I was told that Bryant's material warranty should come with a labor portion i.e., when a certain part fails Bryant pays the contractor a predetermined amount for the replacement labor. Is this correct?
    b. I shouldn't have to pay for follow-up service calls because each repair is supposed to be warranted.
    Since many of you are professionals, do you think that taking such a stand with my technician is reasonable?
    Also, should Bryant take some ownership? Does anybody know who is the Bryant distributor for Chicago area?
    Current summary
    The technician replaced the inducer motor and cleared the alarms on 1/28/2011.
    During the following 4 days there were
    CODE 42 INDUCER FAULT – 30 alarms
    CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT – 2 alarms
    On 2/1/2011 “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION” message was displayed and CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT was displayed as ACTIVE.
    I then turned system off (thermostat), then turned furnace off and (after 2-3 minutes) back on, then turned the system back on (thermostat). As a computer engineer I thought that it might be important that the system is off when I turn the furnace off and back on.
    Since 2/2/2011 until 2/6/2011 (4 days) the system has had much fewer alarms even though the weather is cold in Chicago:
    CODE 42 INDUCER FAULT – 1 alarm
    CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT – NO alarms
    CODE 31 MEDIUM PRESSURE SWITCH OPEN – 2 alarms (never seen before!)
    “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION” message - NONE
    Obviously, 4 days is a very short observation period but the difference is striking.

It depends

I have found it difficult to get manufacturers to ante up for any of the labor costs.

However if we installed the system and we had a maintenance agreement with you, we would most likely handle it at no cost. That it as long as it was not a major problem like a compressor or something that took more than a few hours.

But if you had a maintenance agreement with the installer, this may have been discovered sooner.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

If the furnace was DOA Bryant would maybe ante up for labor costs. Same for a recall. But in your case.....Probably not. Especially if it is installer fault.

If they can't fix it, the contractor should stop charging you at some point. At least till they find out what is really wrong.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Neill; 02-06-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Just curious, is this furnace on propane or natural gas?

I would look at the install to make sure it was done right. vent piping,duct size,and ele. make the tech check gas presure,temp diff. make sure the TRAP is clean and draining. I put in carrier and have good luck with them.make sure you have a good ground to the unit. carrie and bryant are the same. GOOD LUCK.

I would look at the install to make sure it was done right. vent piping,duct size,and ele. make the tech check gas presure,temp diff. make sure the TRAP is clean and draining. I put in carrier and have good luck with them.make sure you have a good ground to the unit. carrie and bryant are the same. GOOD LUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
    Technical/troubleshooting
    I’ll ask the technician for the following (as recommended by acwizard):
    remove air filter, check to see if unit is overfired, check heat rise. This is all relevant to code 33, check wiring harness from inducer fan to variable speed furnace control, check condensate piping , check for obstructions in vent pipes(code 42) Variable furnace control may be defective.
    Financial
    a. I was told that Bryant's material warranty should come with a labor portion i.e., when a certain part fails Bryant pays the contractor a predetermined amount for the replacement labor. Is this correct?
    b. I shouldn't have to pay for follow-up service calls because each repair is supposed to be warranted.
    Since many of you are professionals, do you think that taking such a stand with my technician is reasonable?
    Also, should Bryant take some ownership? Does anybody know who is the Bryant distributor for Chicago area?
    Current summary
    The technician replaced the inducer motor and cleared the alarms on 1/28/2011.
    During the following 4 days there were
    CODE 42 INDUCER FAULT – 30 alarms
    CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT – 2 alarms
    On 2/1/2011 “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION” message was displayed and CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT was displayed as ACTIVE.
    I then turned system off (thermostat), then turned furnace off and (after 2-3 minutes) back on, then turned the system back on (thermostat). As a computer engineer I thought that it might be important that the system is off when I turn the furnace off and back on.
    Since 2/2/2011 until 2/6/2011 (4 days) the system has had much fewer alarms even though the weather is cold in Chicago:
    CODE 42 INDUCER FAULT – 1 alarm
    CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT – NO alarms
    CODE 31 MEDIUM PRESSURE SWITCH OPEN – 2 alarms (never seen before!)
    “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION” message - NONE
    Obviously, 4 days is a very short observation period but the difference is striking.
    tec. sell byrant out of lansing il

I had a goofy intermittant problem with an Infinity heat pump. Talked to a competitor I know who installs a lot of Evolutions. He said replace the 4 pin plugs on the controller, outdoor & indoor units. I did and the problems went away.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I am still willing to bet there is a problem with the thermostat.

Every time I have seen "System Malfunction", it has been the thermostat.
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I am still willing to bet there is a problem with the thermostat.

Every time I have seen "System Malfunction", it has been the thermostat.
    Since he has two systems, swapping the controllers should move the problem to the other system if you are right.

Good idea.

He should give that a try.

Thanks for the ideas – will talk with the technician about checking them all

The most puzzling one to me (remember, I am a computer engineer and know nothing about HVAC systems) is that the thermostat might be the culprit. Isn’t the thermostat just displaying the alarms it receives from the furnace?

For Silver06: the furnace works on natural gas

Quote Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas – will talk with the technician about checking them all

The most puzzling one to me (remember, I am a computer engineer and know nothing about HVAC systems) is that the thermostat might be the culprit. Isn’t the thermostat just displaying the alarms it receives from the furnace?

For Silver06: the furnace works on natural gas

Engineers of any sort get charged double!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast