Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
    Thanks to all – here is some info:
    PVC is 4" diameter
    The thermostat is EVOLUTION (not INFINITY) – I googled but didn’t find much I can use. Will try some more later.
    Filters (electronic) are clean (and were cleaned 1 month before this “hurricane” of alarms started).
    The units were registered on time and I have written confirmation from Bryant about the 10 year warranty.
    Evolution & Infinity is exactly the same thing. Evolution is Bryant & Infinity is Carrier. Exactly the same thing.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Quote Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
    I have 2 systems (one for each floor) - this is why I used the plural for filters. The filter is attached to the furnace.
    How can I find out the size for the filter and for the furnace?
    Wow, how big is your castle? A 120,000 btu for one floor. Is the other furnace as large?

The filter will have the size written on it.

Where are the furnaces located? What is the size of the A/C units?

Replace your vent pipe from 4" to 3" as per installation instructions. Ice is forming inside of vent piping.

Quote Originally Posted by acwizard View Post
    Replace your vent pipe from 4" to 3" as per installation instructions. Ice is forming inside of vent piping.
    I'm thinking he's measuring the OD, not the ID.

1st floor is about 2800 sq ft; 2nd floor about 1800 sq ft.
    Changing the pipe looks to me like a "big project" and, in addition, if the pipe size is the culprit, I wonder why these problems didn't happen in the first year.
    There is something interesting that I would like to point out – maybe it is relevant:

The technician replaced the inducer motor and cleared the alarms on 1/28/2011.
    During the following 4 days there were
    CODE 42 INDUCER FAULT – 30 alarms
    CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT – 2 alarms
    On 2/1/2011 “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION” message was displayed and CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT was displayed as ACTIVE.
    I then turned system off (thermostat), then turned furnace off and (after 2-3 minutes) back on, then turned the system back on (thermostat). As a computer engineer I thought that it might be important that the system is off when I turn the furnace off and back on.
    Since 2/2/2011 until 2/5/2011 (3 days) the system has been much more “quiet” even though the weather is cold in Chicago:
    CODE 42 INDUCER FAULT – 1 alarm
    CODE 33 LIMIT FAULT – NO alarms
    CODE 31 MEDIUM PRESSURE SWITCH OPEN – 2 alarms (never seen before!)
    “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION” message - NONE
    Obviously, 3 days is a very short observation period but the difference is striking.

More:
    furnace for 2nd floor is smaller (model 355CAV060100)
    indeed the pipes are 4" outside diameter

You mentioned that the furnace is more quiet now? How so? What was the "noise"? Airflow noise or something else?

Interesting 3" sch.40 pipe has an outside diameter of 3.5" and 4" sch 40 pvc has an outside diameter of 4.5"

I meant "quieter" in the figurative i.e., an order of magnitude less alarms. The furnace is always quiet and BTW it has always been working (even with "SYSTEM MALFUNTION" displayed)

Here's the manual.

See if it gives you any data.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

for some reason (maybe because I am not a professional member) I cannot get to the file but I have the manual for Evolution from other web sites. Thnx
    Last edited by drdigital1; 02-06-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: splelling error

Sounds as if you have several problems. Have your technician remove air filter, check to see if unit is overfired, check heat rise.This is all relevant to code 33, check wiring harness from inducer fan to variable speed furnace control, check condensate piping , check for obstructions in vent pipes(code 42) Variable furnace control may be defective. There are numerous things to check and without being there it is impossible to troubleshoot. A qualified technician is needed.

Drain line issue? Furnace not sloped to the front slightly? Also sounds like the furnace is not set up properly as to temp rise etc.
    Save me Jebus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast