Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Engineers of any sort get charged double!!!!
    Next time I'll say that I am a teacher (unless these get charged double as well) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas – will talk with the technician about checking them all

The most puzzling one to me (remember, I am a computer engineer and know nothing about HVAC systems) is that the thermostat might be the culprit. Isn’t the thermostat just displaying the alarms it receives from the furnace?

For Silver06: the furnace works on natural gas
    Process of elimination. If the problem moves after you move the thermostat between the two units, then you know the thermostat is the problem. If the problem does not move, then the problem is not the thermostat.

BTW, before you move thermostats, was wondering if both thermostats are identical? You may need to take that into consideration.

Swapping t-stats may exacerbate the problem. First, there's numerous contractor set-up functions that may need to be different. Second, once you move the t-stat (User Interface) they will both need to go through the identifaction and set-up function.

We had a Hybrid Heat Evolution system throwing the same codes. Brand new, used as AC in the summer with no problem. The problems started in the heating season. All kinds of alarms. One was for the gas valve, which we replaced (no charge to the customer, it's a new system so all work is under our no questions asked 1-year warranty) the gas valve as the tech on scene reported that it was making a lot of noise. However that did not solve the problems. Since we were making no progress, I informed our Bryant area rep that I would like to have a new User Interface with the upgraded software package (color screen too!). Voila, all the problems ceased to this day! Who knew?

The UI has a lot of authority. It regulates the blower speed according to what it thinks it should be for the equipment installed. But if it has a software glitch, that low or high fan speed can produce all kinds of codes. Changing the UI is simple for the contractor, takes a minimal amount of time and should be the first item replaced for repeated, nuisance error codes, IMO.

Yes, all calls within the first year should be at no charge. Yes all work should be warranted by the contractor doing repairs after the first year, whether they were the original installers or not. No I would not expect someone to pay repetetive charges for the same problem/error code but I would expect them to pay for the repair that finally solves the problem.

I learned a long, long time ago in business that when you get repeated callbacks for an intermittent problem, if billed to the customer it becomes a very, very, large bill, frequently reaching into the high hundreds or low thousands, just in labor alone! No customer will ever be happy with that result and neither would I, were I the customer. So I learned that I could never make money on such calls but I could leverage those calls into growing the customer base. I'd just ask for a nice letter from the customer, attesting to the great service they received when they had a particularly gnatty problem where other companies would either charge big dollars or refuse to continue service. It's worked for me for over 20-years and I think it's the only reasonable way to approach such issues.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Skippedover, do you have a twin brother in Chicago area? I want a service company with your professionalism and ethics.

Bryant asked their distributor (TEC) to contact me and they did first thing today (Monday). The guy said that he has lots of ideas to check out and that he mentioned them all to my service guy. I told him that I have received a lot of excellent suggestions from the pros on this forum and he supported the idea of trying them as well. Since it'll take time to check everything out I need to find a service company that will not charge for every visit (like my current service company) but for solving the problem.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-05-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Sorry, I don't have any brothers (of which I know, at least) but if you want to move to Massachusetts...
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

hondaCR500, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234