Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is Bryant top-of-the-line furnace a lemon? ..and how to handle?

In December 2009 I got a top-of-the-line Bryant 95% efficiency furnace (Plus95s Model 355CAV). It has 1 year labor warranty and 10 year parts warranty. In December 2010, just a few days after the labor warranty expired (!), I got a “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION. CALL TECHNICIAN” message.
    The technician (same company that sold and installed the furnace) came and replaced some part. Almost every week since then I am getting the same message. The technician came a few more times; once he replaced the inducer motor (because of seventy INDUCER FAULT alarms in one week), other time he just powered the furnace off and back on. He discussed the situation with Bryant but the problem has not been solved. The bill for technician service calls is HEFTY so I started to keep track of the alarms by myself (by going into the service menu) and I can see alarms almost EVERY DAY. When I see the message “SYSTEM MALFUNCTION. CALL TECHNICIAN” I just power cycle the furnace myself.
    Note: the alarms I see are
    Code 33 LIMIT FAULT (2 in the last week)
    Code 42 INDUCER FAULT (even after inducer motor replacement; 17 in the last week but only 1 since the last power cycle 3 days ago)
    Code 31 MEDIUM PRESSURE SWITCH OPEN (2 in the last week)

BTW, I made sure that the outlet is unobstructed and clear of ice and snow.
    I contacted Bryant (on-line message to customer service) but haven’t heard from them (yet?). I will also call the local Bryant distributor on Monday.
    I am at a loss on how to handle this – I cannot pay for repeated expensive “guesswork”/trial-and-error technician visits (even though the furnace is out of labor warranty, should there be a SERVICE CALL warranty?). Is there a way to get Bryant take full ownership of this?

Any suggestions/experience with a similar situation?

By the third call I would be working for free, especially since the problem has not been found yet. Intermittent problems can be horrible to find, but I would not bill the customer again.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

What is the length of the vent pipe and how many 90 degree fittings does it have?

Also will need the model # of your furnace.

Model is: 355CAV060120
    Vent pipe length: about 10 ft
    90 deg fittings: 3

Thanks,

replace your air filter

Quote Originally Posted by Energyservices View Post
    replace your air filter

Uh huh, because dirty filters are notorious for pressure switch faults.

Looks like the vent piping is within specs. Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
    Model is: 355CAV060120
    Vent pipe length: about 10 ft
    90 deg fittings: 3

Thanks,
    What size is the PVC? 2" or 3" ?

Had this problem

Had a bad thermostat. That is assuming that you have the infinity communicating thermostat. The thermostat is also warranted for 10 years as well.

You can get the manual if you punch in "infinity thermostat" & "SYSTEM MALFUNCTION" into Google. It will give you more info and possibly how to solve it.

**NOTE: In order to qualify for the 10 year warrantee you need to fill out the warrantee card or do it on line. Otherwise you only get 5 years. I say this because I had customer with a leaky coil that was 6 years old and they did not send in warrantee card so Bryant would not cover it. It was sad!

hope this helps
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Thanks to all – here is some info:
    PVC is 4" diameter
    The thermostat is EVOLUTION (not INFINITY) – I googled but didn’t find much I can use. Will try some more later.
    Filters (electronic) are clean (and were cleaned 1 month before this “hurricane” of alarms started).
    The units were registered on time and I have written confirmation from Bryant about the 10 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by drdigital1 View Post
    Thanks to all – here is some info:
    PVC is 4" diameter
    The thermostat is EVOLUTION (not INFINITY) – I googled but didn’t find much I can use. Will try some more later.
    Filters (electronic) are clean (and were cleaned 1 month before this “hurricane” of alarms started).
    The units were registered on time and I have written confirmation from Bryant about the 10 year warranty.
    What size is the A/C? What size and type is the air cleaner? You said filters (plural). Is there more than one? Where are they located?

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    What size is the A/C? What size and type is the air cleaner? You said filters (plural). Is there more than one? Where are they located?

He is getting pressure switch and inducer faults. We should address that first.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    He is getting pressure switch and inducer faults. We should address that first.
    Sorry. I get overly curious. It sounds like another one pipe system?

I thought I read where the vent pipe couldn't be to short. I wonder also if it's venting to the north.

I had a furnace that vented to the north and when it ran on low fire it wouldn't work. But that was a 2 piper (maybe the exhaust was re-ciculating)and I don't remember what or how the techs fixed the problem.

I have 2 systems (one for each floor) - this is why I used the plural for filters. The filter is attached to the furnace.
    How can I find out the size for the filter and for the furnace?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast