Hurricane straps
    After seeing this: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=74651

and seeing similar things at my own condo building, how do people tie down condensers so that they won't go flying? At my own building, metal straps were used, but at least half the straps failed, tearing somewhere around the middle of the strap on most, with just a few tearing at the screws. While my straps held, I still went back in there and tap-con'd the base to the wooden mounting rails on the roof, but still not sure that's enough. Any suggestions?

Well, if a hurricane hits my area we're all screwed lol.

But if I had to do it, I'd use some relitively thick metal strap (perhaps 20 gauge) and fasten it to something sold and throw some screws into the condensing unit. Could also do the same thing with some cable.

eye bolts into the concrete pad when it is poured and chain the cond to the pad, so that the pad and all will go flying

The metal of a condensing unit is so thin that it's like having a cheap shed in a HURRICANE.....there's no way to guarantee it'll stay put without re-framing it with angle iron and fastening that to the concrete,and still no guarantee. Just make sure it's insured.....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Tpa-Fl,we are just north of you here in Crystal River.

Use the search function,the thread is My Infinity Has arived,posted by hugodrax .

It shows a unit ,very nice one,installed in south florida,with "cable type hurricane anchors.

I think there is another thread that has a better veiw of them,there's plastic tubing over the cable ,to prevent rust or scratchs getting on the unit.

http://www.carsonind.com/PDF/AnchorFlyer2.pdf

This system will meet the florida building code requirements or will at least pass the inspection here. This probally doesn't help you much since you equipment is on a roof.

I'm also wondering at what point it's better to let the condenser fly, rather than taking the roof with it. I was talking about this with a general contractor who said there were many roof failures along the beach caused by the condensers getting blown off the roof and taking the roof with them. My condo complex somehow suffered no roof damage whatsoever, while every other building on this part of the island lost some, if not all, of their roofs.