Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier econo gears

Has anyone run across carrier economizer gears cracking at drive hubs? i'm looking for a fix. i dropped actuator to second gear and reversed rotation,but of coarse it cracked. local carrierdealer said no replacement parts available so instead of a $5 gear i have to replace a $2500 econo. i have 19 units on this roof 6 need gears. lubed all bushings and freed up blades i dont look forward to dropping this big dollar repair on the customer. any advise whould be appreciated

they are plastic, correct? You could try to weld it, I never did but I have welded up PE towers and PVC pipe. Or you could look for a local shop that makes plastic parts or a cnc shop for plastic work. Hell you could look for a plastic sheet that is the same material/thickness and use one of the gears and make a template. Take a dremel and do it yourself

its like pullin teeth to get anything up here in the mountians. the gears are plastic, dont think making them is a viable option. the way they attach to act. and blade is definately a blown plastic design. still cant believe micro metl / carrier doen,t have parts for these things. next time i'm at this place i'll see if i can Macgyver some thing

A model number would be nice.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by MUNC View Post
    Has anyone run across carrier economizer gears cracking at drive hubs? i'm looking for a fix. i dropped actuator to second gear and reversed rotation,but of coarse it cracked. local carrierdealer said no replacement parts available so instead of a $5 gear i have to replace a $2500 econo. i have 19 units on this roof 6 need gears. lubed all bushings and freed up blades i dont look forward to dropping this big dollar repair on the customer. any advise would be appreciated
    A-Have a shop cast it in loss wax and make a sand casting -inexpensive mold
    B-Have a injection mold made -expensive mold
    C-Have a CNC programmer make you a program to CNC the part into I would suggest 6061T6 aluminum. I was a cnc programmer. use to make all kinds of stuff on my off hours for guys.- on the cheap
    D-Find one on ebay or something or rig something up maybe your gear will cross over to another make model...
    E-Have the gear repaired by a shop preferably as stated previously by a plastics shop.
    F-Change manufacturer design. I have been known to use a Chane and sprocket in old equipment.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

these are 48HGDT14AB-60KD5 UNITS. thanks chrisvacman, unfortunatly it would prob. be in denver to find such a shop (200 miles one way) to find said type of shop i havnt let my fingers do the walkin yet, i'll look around

There is a fix for that style of econo with the plastic gears.

Is the actuator mounted to the side of the damper assembly with a small shaft that fits into the square hub on the plastic gear ? And the square hub is what cracks right? not the whole gear?

if so
    The fix is drilling a hole through the center of the gear, slide the new longer shaft through the gear, use a bracket to attach the new shaft to the damper blade, and reinstall the actuator and tighten it to the new shaft.

I installed this on a smaller carrier, but I heard of guys at our shop using this fix on the same size unit you're talking about.

Our shop had the parts made by a machine shop, but I thought that carrier has these parts as well..

thanks y7turbo, i was thinkin of trying some thing like that. all carrier out here is willing to do is sell the whole frickin econo package. btw spent 38 yrs in chic. 13 @ local 597. hope you guys are staying busy

thanks y7turbo, i was thinkin of trying some thing like that. all carrier out here is willing to do is sell the whole frickin econo package. btw spent 38 yrs in chic. 13 @ local 597. hope you guys are staying busy
    Is the gear broken or just stripped out? You can also just use a piece of 3/8" all thread , roll pins , and some 3/8" coupling nuts. That`s as long as the gear is not broken.

Bad thing about these gears is that Ruskin I think JCI owned them, used to make lots of economizers then I think JCI became a Carrier competitor when they bought York. And it`s kinda hard to get some injection molding company to retool up reproduce cheap gears that there isn`t much demand for.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

thanks guys, the hubs on these gears are broken, not the cogs themselves. this unit actually "slugged" a scroll and stressed the spot welds on the side of the can to the point of loosing charge, leakin like a beech. newer units too

thanks guys, the hubs on these gears are broken, not the cogs themselves. this unit actually "slugged" a scroll and stressed the spot welds on the side of the can to the point of loosing charge, leakin like a beech. newer units too
    Comfortlink controls? How old are these unit's?
    UA 100

automated logic Target store, these went in in 06 serial says there 05's

finally have the solution for my units. micrometl has a kit pt# 50tg680030 with instruction sheet #99ta526383a new gears and longer shaft. waiting for parts to show up then let the fun begin. will report back on the results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast