Thread: Which Carrier H-pomp?

Post Likes
    Hi guys,

Last fall, I've changed half of my HVAC system, the furnace and inside coil. As a couple of guys here said, the h-pump died yesterday. Now I am forced to replace it.

Question I have is, can you guys advise on what h-pump shuld I look into? (I would prefer Carrier as the rest of the system, but then which one?) The died pump is Rheem (RFPA-030JAS) and the inside coil ( installed last fall) is Carrier ( CC5AXA030).

Thank you in advance

Bogdan.

Post Likes
    Check out http://www.carrier.com for a list of their heat pumps. It's informative and gives benefits of each heat pump model (SEER, refrigerant, etc.)

Post Likes
    amb4081 wrote:
    Check out http://www.carrier.com for a list of their heat pumps. It's informative and gives benefits of each heat pump model (SEER, refrigerant, etc.)
    ---
    I forgot to mention that I am trying to match the feeling in the house that the old pump gave me. That's why I need advice.

Post Likes
    You need to make sure the outdoor unit you choose is ARI rated with the CC5 2.5 ton coil. The YRA R22 unit with a TXV added will work, the 12 SEER Puron unit requires an 036 coil with the 2.5 ton outdoor unit. You probably will find that in higher SEER too.

This is a lesson to other consumers with a dealer who wants to change the coil with the furnace. With higher SEER, different refrigerants and the industry in flux with the new 13 SEER requirements, you may get in a bind buying an outdoor unit later if you buy a coil today. Chances are most of today's coils will be discontinued and won't match with tomorrow's outdoor units. Either change all or leave the old coil with the old A/C.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    What feeling?

What model furnace do you have?

Post Likes
    Dash,

I am talking about the temperature in the house. I have an 2-speed Carier furnace ( model 58CLA-112) and I'm looking for something ( from Carrier) that will fit the rest of the system (Coil Carrier CC5AXA030) and give me the same end results.

Thanks,

Bogdan

Post Likes
    What the Bald one stated is correct.You'd have to change your coil,for highr efficiency or Puron.

One thing to check that could help and save you money,is have a load calculation done,to see if you need 2.5 tons,or would a 2 ton be correct.Often people have improved insulation,windows ,etc., and don't need as large of a system as they have,worth checking.

The Puron and higher SEER and HSPF,units in two ton are a match for your coil.

Post Likes
    Thank you Dash,BaldLoonie,

Guess what? I've called the guy who sold me the coil and furnace last year, and he said the same thing! Now permit me to vent a little bit: @!%#&^*^)(^&$$%@#~@%^()*&^*&!!!

He recomanded that coil, knowing that I will change the pump soon. Now I have to either go for a smaler puron pump or change coils for a 2.5 tonnes one. Or I can go 2.5 tonnes on my existing coils but on freon.

What do you think?

Regards,

Bogdan

Post Likes
    Well at least he was correct,could be worse!!LOL

I'd see if he'd make some concession ,if you need to change the coil.

Going with a 2 Ton is the right thing to do for cooling,IF that's the correct size.Though you lose some heating capacity on the heat pump side.

Post Likes
    The only listed 2.5 ton combination for that coil is the 38YSP030; that would be pretty efficient and uses Puron. It's listed as 13.0 SEER and 8.0 HSPF when used without a variable speed furnace. I can't find anything about the YSP myself, though, so I have to ask the real experts. Is this a new model or a discontinued model? Carrier's web site never mentions it anywhere. Could it be the Puron version of the YSA?

Having indoor comfort is largely a function of having a good installer and buying quality equipment. You're not going to go wrong with most any brand as long as it's set up right and you are in the middle or top of the line.

Post Likes
    Hi wyounger,

I have the Product data, Install and Wiring diagram for the 38YSP if you want them.

Now, how is this possible? How it can work with a 2.5 tonnes coil? It is still available? Or is not yet available?

Damn, I'm in Canada, the seller even told me to go to h..l for the Comfort 14 unit from the Carrier page. Oh, well...

Regards,

Bogdan

Post Likes
    38YSP is not in our "book",where did you find the info. if it's not on the website??

Sounds like 2006 product,maybe?

Post Likes
    On the net. Anyone interested? I have them.

Bogdan

Post Likes
    I just checked the ariprimenet.org and they list tons of matches for this "Performance 14" heat pump, model series 38YSP. The numbers look very good.

If nobody's heard of it, I guess it must be new!

Bogdan, where on the net did you find manuals for this thing? I haven't seen them anywhere.

Post Likes
    Sorry, I do not remember. You have to understand, in my search I had sometimes maybe 30 IE instances opened in the same time. But now that I have them I don't mind sharing them. Just let me know how.

Regards,

Bogdan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in