Thread: Goodman HP Package Unit

Post Likes
    Hey guys maybe you can help me. I have a 2 ton 12 seer Goodman package unit and I have wired everything up, I though correctly, however when I try to flip the breaker it throws. I have 2 pairs of wire coming off the HP one for the emergency coil heat and one for the heat pump itself. I have 2 30 A dual pole breakers one for each wire. The emergency heat breaker works fine, however, the heat pump breaker throws anytime I try to flip the breaker. I have a 60 amp shutoff switch on the outside of the unit and have run from that to inside the pump to the 3 connectors inside. I have also used a 18-7 gauge wire for the thermostat and I think that is fine also. Can someone help please. Is the shutoff switch possibly messed up? Or could the thermostat wires be throwing the breaker?

Thanks,
    Cedric

Post Likes
    Have someone who knows what they are doing look at your system. It would be irresponsible for any of us to try to walk you through this.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Electricity can be fatal. Make the phonecall.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    I am aware and usually do a pretty good job with electricity. I just got done upgrading my house from a 100A service to a 200A service. I believe it is just a small error inside the unit. I guess what I am asking is their a common mistake that is made with heat pumps that could cause this problem? From the breaker to the shut off on the unit the electricity is fine. It's somewhere between the shutoff and the heat pump.

Thanks,
    Cedric

Post Likes
    The only way to trace electrical issues is with test meters on the job. This is not an area conducive to guessing.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    on your shutoff make sure the line and load are wired to the right terminals. Look inside it should say in the switch which is line and which is load. Other than that, call an electrician. Sometimes cheaper than letting the smoke out of a bunch of switches and parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in