Thread: up the tonnage?

Confused up the tonnage?

Getting quotes on buying/installing new heat pump for 1300 sq. ft. townhome. Existing unit is 1.5 ton 18-year old Trane Weathertron (builder grade?), probably 10 SEER when new. Unit has Freon leak down inside the air handler:

- Company #1 recommended new unit. He priced us $ for Ducane and $ for Trane (didn't give model numbers, didn't do load calc, etc.).

- Company #2 priced us Trane XB13, XR13, and XR15 from low to high, but no load calc

- Company #3, who provided excellent service and performed free load calc said we need to go up .5 ton to a 2-ton unit. They sell Bryant only.

I'm a little surprised that Company #3 wants to increase the tonnage, when we first discussed that it's possible our flexible hose ducting that runs under the floor boards (between the first floor ceiling and second level floor) can't handle the extra tonnage. Is it common for the original builders to install a heat pump that's too small?

I think Company #3 is pricing us too high ($ for 2-ton), so I've asked them to give me prices on 1.5 units...we'll see.

Thoughts? Do you think increasing .5 ton is really critical?
    Last edited by Stamas; 02-04-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing, see Rules

Quote Originally Posted by PD89 View Post
    Getting quotes on buying/installing new heat pump for 1300 sq. ft. townhome. Existing unit is 1.5 ton 18-year old Trane Weathertron (builder grade?), probably 10 SEER when new. Unit has Freon leak down inside the air handler:

- Company #1 recommended new unit. He priced us $ for Ducane and $ for Trane (didn't give model numbers, didn't do load calc, etc.).

- Company #2 priced us Trane XB13, XR13, and XR15 from low to high, but no load calc

- Company #3, who provided excellent service and performed free load calc said we need to go up .5 ton to a 2-ton unit. They sell Bryant only.

I'm a little surprised that Company #3 wants to increase the tonnage, when we first discussed that it's possible our flexible hose ducting that runs under the floor boards (between the first floor ceiling and second level floor) can't handle the extra tonnage. Is it common for the original builders to install a heat pump that's too small?

I think Company #3 is pricing us too high ($ for 2-ton), so I've asked them to give me prices on 1.5 units...we'll see.

Remove your pricing, its not allowed here.

If 3 did a load calc, there are far ahead of the other companies. The original builders went with the low bidder, so what do you think?
    Last edited by Stamas; 02-04-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Same,
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

Welcome to the site.

You will get more responses if you post in the residential section.

Welcome to the site,

If company 3 did a load calc, then I think I would consider their recommendations...ask them what design outdoor temps they used for their clac and what indoor temps they used. Yes, a 1/2 ton can make a hugh difference on a 90+ degree day.

Good luck and like already stated, this is the introduction forum...you should really go over to the residential hvac forum and post these type questions there.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

How long did it take him to perform the load calc? Did he look and measure your duct system. You don't have to open the ceiling to know what size duct is ran... I would be skeptical too. I know of resi companies that put on more of a show then actually sizing your house. How did your existing system do as far as cooling your home?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by PD89 View Post

Didn't say where you are from, but if company 3 did heat load calculations, i would go with them.

1.5 ton for 1300 ft2 seems too small, especially in a townhouse, but without doing heat load calculations it is hard to tell.

yes builders will put marginal sized units in or even smaller than required when they round down instead of up on tonnage.

did the 1.5 ton unit keep you comfortable?

If you base your choice on money only, it could be an expensive mistake.

Thanks for your feedback. Location is Central Maryland, so it can get really hot (upper 90s) and sometimes really cold for MD (single digits). The existing 1.5 ton unit didn't do a good job of cooling the second floor in the summer, but it was our first summer in this house and the unit had probably leaked out most of its Freon by then (leak was detected in Nov 2009 when we first moved it, so he put in 1/2 lb. of Freon). Without knowing how a 1.5 ton unit SHOULD perform in this house, I'm having to rely on the companies telling me the truth.