Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice-- questionable install.

Post Likes

Unhappy Need Advice Questionable Install -- PICS Included

I had a 'pro' install 2 new hvac systems for me a couple of days ago and I am unsure of his work. First off, he quoted me a Armstrong unit and I got a Concord. Are these comparable units? Second can you tell the size from the model number? Model= CG80TB075D12A-1A. Finally, I really don't feel much air movement from the vents; however, when I go up in the attic to look at the unit, I feel quiet a bit of cool air coming from the seam between the air handler and the coil. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    I would call the guy back and insist that it’s done right. If a unit other than what was quoted was installed, you didn't get what you paid for.

The air handler/duct work shouldn't be leaking like that.

Post Likes
    Everything around the air handler should be sealed with UL 181 approved material like mastic tape or mastic caulk or old fashioned mastic and tape. At the very least some clear silicone. I don't know anything about concord so I can't comment on the equivilence to Armstrong. Judging by your model number I would say it's and 80% furnace at 75,000 btu/h input. The model number also resembles a Lennox built model number like Armstrong would use, so they could be the same unit with a different name on them. Someone more familiar with Concord equipment will have to fill in the blanks on that.

Post Likes
    Ask him why you didn't get what you paid for and also ask him why are you losing cold air through your ducts, if he couldn't get the unit that he quoted you on he should have explained himself, for your sake I hope he did a good install, in time you'll know.

Good Luck

Post Likes
    Concord is the builder line of Armstrong. Solid furnace, just a cheaper model than the G1N Tech 80 unit. Costs the dealer $$$ less too.

Post Likes
    post some pics.

let's see what the "pro" did.

thanks

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    post some pics.

let's see what the "pro" did.

thanks
    Then he will know what he really got!!

I want PICTURES!!!

Post Likes

Post Lennox,Armstrong,Concord

Originally posted by mdb2097
    I had a 'pro' install 2 new hvac systems for me a couple of days ago and I am unsure of his work. First off, he quoted me a Armstrong unit and I got a Concord.
    All from the same animal ut with differrent supoprt and warranties....

An example would be Lennox L series cost $$$$ the same system as an Armstrong/Concord cost less but does not have the technical support or warranties the Lennox does.

Contractor probably paid a little less for it. Ask him to explain it to you.
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Post Likes
    all i can say is whatever type of equiptment was on that contract when you signed it you should of received unless otherwise told by the contracter prior to installation and both parties agreed revised contract or something. and no air should be leaking at all in the attic make them seal it. Get a INSPECTION. model numbers do tell what the unit is in most cases but just because u had that b4 doesnt mean its right for u now did these people do a load calc or anything is this the original ductwork oh man i have so many questions

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes

Answers.

Original duct work, this was a changeout. I had 6 different companies provide quotes. This contractor was not the cheapest and had the best reviews from realatives. None of the 6 did any calculations, just looked and quoted.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes

Re: Answers.

Originally posted by mdb2097
    Original duct work, this was a changeout. I had 6 different companies provide quotes. This contractor was not the cheapest and had the best reviews from realatives. None of the 6 did any calculations, just looked and quoted.

That's why I say ,friends and relatives don't know a good contractor from a bad one.They only know if there system "works",big difference,as you can see,your system likely "works" okay,but not a quality install.

Post Likes
    Were is is the transition? I don't see one never mind I went to the other pictures and saw.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes

More questions.

Hi Dash,
    The contractor is going to come back to address any issues that I have. Can you fill me in as to why you think this was not a quality install so that I can speak more intellegintly with him. Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    The package unit on the ground looks good as long as the duct connections on the other side of that wall are tight and seales. The furnace in the attic, well, the drain pan should have been large enough to be under the entire coil. In my are it's code to put a drain pan under the entire furnace and coil. It may have been there, but I didn't see the emergency drain coming from the drain pan. The drain pan should be elevated so if it did fill with water it will drain. I also would have used 4x4 cut a bit longer than the furnace is front to back, layed them under furnace and coil facing front to back. Put down a drain pan then put down more 4x4 in the drain pan that lay across the 4x4 under the drain pan for support. Set the furnace on this with some rubber isolaters and you have a solid, properly draining and completely protected by the drain pan job. That's how we do them in central Illinois.

Post Likes

still more questions.

Hello all. I am still curious to know if I got the correct equipment tonnage for the job. He quoted 2 1/2 for the upstairs. Can someone read the model number posted originally and clear it up for me? Please Also, no one has noted the seam between the furnace and the coil and the subsequent leak. (air also coming from pipe entrys into coil) What should that look like? Hopefully with some direction, I'll be able to get this guy to correct any issues.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    The only model I see posted is the furnace,not the A/C.

The coil box doesn't fit/match up very well with the supply duct,hard to tell what they did from the picture.

All the things you mantioned are valid concerns,as well.

Post Likes
    the flue pipe should be b-vent (double wall) in an unconditioned area, of course with the air leaking from the duct work maybe it is conditioned.

nice gas line snaking around the floor into the furnace, or is that a snake?

electric wiring should be secured and not just hanging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in