Thread: train heat pump

Hmm

I have a train heat pump model# TWNO42C100, last year I replaced compressor due to a locked rotor. Now Im replacing it again due to a dead short. Does anyone know if this model had problems with compressors or if there is something may be overlooking ? Thanks for any advise.

Chuck

I would check for voltage drop on start up. You may need a hard start kit.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Originally posted by chuck29
    I have a train heat pump model# TWNO42C100, last year I replaced compressor due to a locked rotor. Now Im replacing it again due to a dead short. Does anyone know if this model had problems with compressors or if there is something may be overlooking ? Thanks for any advise.

Chuck
    You're overlooking a qualified contractor.

Is the coil an ARI rated match?
    Did he put a filter drier on?
    Did he even pull a vacuum?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Something is wrong with the system that is causing the compressor failures. Trane compressors are some of the most reliable there are.

Out of curiosity, how was it determined that the compressor is shorted to ground?
    I have run many 2nd opinion calls for shorted compressors on Trane systems and most of the time find that it is the crankcase heater shorted out, nothing wrong with the compressor.
    A lot of people seem to be to lazy to actually remove the leads from the compressor and check at the compressor terminals. If anyone ever tells you your compressor is shorted to ground, and they are not checking at the terminals on the side of the compressor, don't trust them.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

It definately sounds like something is up with your TRANE heat pump. Have them check all the particulars to try and determine what is causing the premature failures.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Was this a matched system when installed? The indoor and outdoor section of system with new linesets? Trane rarely has problems like this without major contractor error.

high side burnouts should, when replacing the compressor it is advised nowadays to change the inside coil and the lineset and definately change the filter inside the unit. Some think that nitrogen can blow out the lines good enough but it still leaves acid and carbon in the lines.... hard to blow thru oil. Anyway you will see a compressor fail in a year pretty often if you don't change them.

it is hard to stop a train
    if you dont know what your doing you have a train reck
    i recomand you find a new contractor and get a second opinion. something is not right with your system if you went through two train compressors in less then a year or someone does not know what he is doing and should go back to school before touching someone esles unit
    call train and see if they can recomend a contractor for you and put a stop to this train reck

compressor failures are due to overcharging of refrigerant,
    dirty evap coils, low return air, oversized metering devises and restrictions.