Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    form what i could see you seem to have gotten a quality job
    if the installer made a mistake on the exhaust and intake piping i am sure they will correct it. they did use sweep els and did a nice job running the pipes. the permit is a reasonable concern. pirmits are for your protection and to make sure the job is to code. since they are willing to pull them it does not seem they want to pull anything over on you. they should have pulled them first and not tried to get by with out pirmits but that is thier problem and they are the ones that have to explain why the job in done first. if they dont pull them in a reasonable lenth of time then i recomend you pull then and have it inspected and let the contractor explain why he did not.
    with that said i still think you found a good contractor and got a quality job

jdew1920

Check your venting spec's very carefully as you will see other problems with the venting.

The outside terminations are not to spec. Fig. 15
    also doesn't appear as though they reduced pipe properly

No trap in the exhaust pipe Should be fig 14 in installation manual.

Also take a look at the condenstion line coming down from the a/c coil this should be reconfigured.

After checking the Michigan code the electrical disconnect appears to be ok.

Although I would check and make sure the furnace is on a dedicated 15 amp curcuit breaker or fuse with proper ground.
    Nothing else should be on this curcuit.

Ask your contractor to explain to you why it appears that soem of the Man spec weren't followed. If the answers he gives you aren't satifactory point these descrepancies out too the inspector and ask himto help you rectify the situation.

The rheem mod is a great furnace and should give you years of dependable service but as with all high tech equipment it's very important that it be installed correctly.

Was this contractor your lowest bidder on the Mod?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I can see where it could get confusing regarding the venting. They are using the alternate horizontal termination - so I'm not even sure if the trap applies to this method (trap is on combustion side). You're right I think they need to add a reducer on the outside for the exhaust, but I have to wonder what they point is of that? I can see extending the exhaust a bit away from the house, but why reduce it?

It is on a dedicated circuit.

I had gotten 3 quotes, but only two included the mod. I disliked the third contractor so much I just let him give me a quote on an 80% and standard 90% and then let him go. But his prices were probably a little lower than the contractor that did this job. The price for this install was about 10% less than the price quoted by a dedicated Rheem dealer. But I really picked this guy since he seemed to want to address some of the issues I had instead of just install a furnace.

I will talk to my contractor on Monday again. He had said he wanted to come out and take a look at the install and the venting, so I'll find out what his take on it is and hopefully he'll fix it before the inspection.

the reason for the reducer on the exhaust
    it pushes the exhaust away from the house and the intake pipe, if you watch the exhaust now it will come out of the pipe and just float arround . put on the reducer and you will se it being pushed away from the house at a staedy pace and away fron the house then be lifted away

Good luck, send us some pictures after they make the corrections.

We are a Rheem dealer in Toledo, as well as S/E Michigan.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

This post is a long time coming - just revisted the site so I thought I'd share what happened.

I had the inspector out and he found a list of about half a dozen items he wanted corrected. Mostly these were manufacturer specifications like using too small of intake / exhaust pipe for the length and number of elbows, the drain and trap on the intake piping, etc.

Also he wanted them to replace the gas shut off valve with a new one - even though technically the aren't required to do that. Also the flue they used to reach the liner from the water heater was too small (I saw no problem with it) but they had to replace that too.

The contractor came out and fixed all issues and it passed re-inspection. I was mostly happy with their work but I could tell the guy was a little peeved about having to fix it and left a little bit of mess. PVC shavings all over the floor and inside the furnace from cutting the pipe - I didn't care about the stuff on the floor but I think he should cleaned the stuff up inside the furnace.

The inspectors that came out were only interested in the furnace and paid no attention to anything else in the house - including some new plumbing I had run when I redid the laundry room. These are located right next to the furnace near the floor joists in the basement.

The inspector didn't ask them to add the reducer to the end of the exhaust but I put one on myself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234