Just had a new Carrier Infinity 38YDB/FE4AN HP installed. I have always been concerned about use of auxilary heat associated with high electric bills. I controlled it manually on my old system by minimal setbacks and only small step increases in temp after vacation preventing the aux heat light from comming on. The installer of the infinity said aux heat would not come on with programmed setbacks because the smart mode (on) gradually increases demand temp. However, aux heat is on every morning after a 4° nighttime setback (relatively mild California weather). I reset the electric heat to never come on above 40°F. This works but do I have a problem or was the installer wrong? The heat mode light pulses once about every 3 sec. in normal mode while the book says it should cycle 2.5 times per sec.

your fine.
    "Football Season again finally"

Are you manually fiddling with the stat or letting the programmed setback bring the place back up to temp? Manually adjusting by 4F is a guaranteed way to get the aux heat to come on.

Our Co. is in western Canada and we set for 45F e-heat lockout. Is there a problem? Probably not, though I'm not sure why you would need aux. heat to make up 4 degrees at this time of year.

The stat was set to begin increasing temperature before I get up in the morning. When I first checked the thermostat the actual temp was withion 1°F of the set point with auxilary heat active. Aux heat remained active until the HP shut down. This was inconsistent with the installers instructions and my expectations. The e heat lockout is never mentioned in the homeowner's guide - only the installers instructions. Carriers default is no lockout. Given these facts, it just didn't seem normal for the system to call for aux heat this easily.

It may take a few days for the system to figure out how long it takes to recover from a setback period. Once it gets that right, it will probably start recovering earlier and doing a better job of avoiding using the auxilary heat.

If it's only been in for a few days, give it a chance to get a feel for how the house responds to it when it runs. If it's still doing this in a couple weeks, call your contractor back.

You might want to check and make sure that the system is going to high heating stage when it's appropriate... I seem to remember high versus low influencing how quickly those lights on the control do their pulsing.