Question

Am having a tough time deciding which employer to go with, out of three possibles that are similar. I tend not to move around, so hope to feel confident I've made the best choice. Will be doing commercial/industrial service and controls.

The basics are easy: hourly pay rate, health insurance, company truck; but what aspects don't come to mind so quickly and in what order of importance would you rate them overall?

Thanks for the ideas and opinions. It's good to have such a broad forum of peers to communicate with.

Dave

Ask around at supply houses, find out what others think of them. Also turnover rate is very important.
    How much is it an hour?

Originally posted by nutshell
    Ask around at supply houses, find out what others think of them. Also turnover rate is very important.
    wrong, turnover rate is the most important.
    i wanted to put a picture here

Wink Attributes

As an operations sales manager every time I interview a tech they ask the question why my firm? The same can be said of any firm.

I have a few response that I hope are not unique to me but after hearing alot of war stories fear that there are only a handfull of firms like me.

A) We know how to say thank you. We compensate well but we also let our techs know when they did a great job.

B) We provide a family atmosphere. like some contractors we have fishing trips, christmas parties, we also donate the service contracts to a few museums in our area. In return we have company days their were we get behind the scenes tours. Ask the firms what they do to foster a fun, family atmoshere. We believe the shop that parties toghter makes the stressfull times easier to handle.

C) Advancement. What training is offered, are the firms growing so that their will be room to move into management, sales, customer service ect. One day your body will give out and you might want a less streneous job.

Best of luck

RMGHVAC

impressions count

The manager and the lead guys need to make you feel comfortable, even when nothing is being said.

You can't really put a finger on it, but if there is any discomfort up front, it pays to notice it and file it away in the mind. It might mean something.

The people make or break the good times at work.

Noel

Along with what the others said.
    Look at the shop and office. a neat shop says a lot about those you will be working with.
    Ask to meet those you will be working with.
    How much OT is give out (do you want it or not)
    Will you be on a pager or phone 24/7.
    The people you interview with were you comfortable with them?

Just my 2 cents
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Originally posted by tlcartman
    Originally posted by nutshell
    wrong, turnover rate is the most important.
    Oh excuse me.........
    How much is it an hour?

you're excused. worst 2 jobs i ever had i ignored the turn over rate, and believed what i was told by the interviewer.
    i wanted to put a picture here

money money money

although it makes life easier and more barable, some things no matter what cant be put up with!