i go on a call for no cool yesterday.
    Indoor unit is running
    outdoor fan is running.
    compressor is not running.

Our company just installed a new a-coil maybe 2 days ago. The customer is not happy.

I threw my gages and thats when I became confused. Granted the compressor was not running. My low side was 0psig while my high side was at a saturated outside temp 75.

I checked the compressor windings and the terminals were burnt up.

so what confuses me is the 0 psig on the lowside. Could a restiction burn up the compressor? Did the installer of the a-coil not test the unit? Is this just a sad coincidence for the home owner?

It is a 84 intertherm in a beloved mobil home. So it very well could be bad luck. the condensor was not in good shape.

I just thought I'd throw that out.

too many "ifs" to be sure...regardless of what happened the customer is convinced that you caused the problem..now you need to sell a new condensing unit (which should have been sold in the first place) to match the new a-coil..possibly a burn out with contaminated line set..clean it up and put in a suction line dryer

Your company installed a new A coil on a 21 year old A/C unit? Live and learn..... I'd sell the customer a new complete system and take the complete cost of the A coil install and your trip out there off of their bill, and explain that you were trying to save them $$$ but it didn't work, and don't ever do it again. You're either going to lose a customer and get bad-mouthed, or gain one from being honest and rectifying the situation. And don't jack the price to cover the a-coil.....eat it and learn to hate the taste. JMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by smokin68
    Your company installed a new A coil on a 21 year old A/C unit? Live and learn..... I'd sell the customer a new complete system and take the complete cost of the A coil install and your trip out there off of their bill, and explain that you were trying to save them $$$ but it didn't work, and don't ever do it again. You're either going to lose a customer and get bad-mouthed, or gain one from being honest and rectifying the situation. And don't jack the price to cover the a-coil.....eat it and learn to hate the taste. JMO [/QUOTE

Good advice.
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

Originally posted by timmay
    Could a restiction burn up the compressor?

A scroll compressor will go bad if run in a vacuum.

Did you double check to make sure the rubber around the depressor in your hose didn't collapse?
    i.e. Check low side pressure with your high pressure gauge.

Originally posted by wormy
    Did you double check to make sure the rubber around the depressor in your hose didn't collapse?
    i.e. Check low side pressure with your high pressure gauge.

[/B]
    i didn't think of that. I need to always consider it though but don't. Twice I've had some screw ball readings and its cause the rubber is not holding up. i need to get some extras and make sure to maintain.

thats a good idea for a topic.