Heat Pump... blowing COLD air!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Heat Pump... blowing COLD air!

Okay.... my heat pump has been blowing cold air... so my AUX or Emergency heat turns on ... heats the house...(having an HVAC repairmen out today) but today it is struggling to keep the house warm... its set to 68 its 66 in the house..

So, what do you think is wrong with my heat pump? Compressor? Heating Strips? ugh... I am terrified at the price its going to be.

jcreviston

your symptom begs the following question to be answered first.

is your outside condensor and compressor operating? have you even looked and made a visual/sound inspection?

if not operating, switch to emergency heat until your tech makes a diagnosis.

post back.

IMO

Yes, the unit outside is running. The HVAC man told me to check that when I talked to him last night (friend of the family/church). (of course I checked lol)

If I have my heat on it it turns on, blows cold then the AUX heat comes on or the Emergency Heat.

reversing valve...
    when in doubt swap it out....NOT!!

What does that do?

Is there anyway it would be the compressor? I was reading some articles online it said if it is blowing cold air it could be that?

I am just 100% terrified of what it could be. My home is only 8 years old..

Well this is not a diy site so I will stop guessing here....But I would just like to add that it could be anything from a loose wire to a burnt compressor....Let us know what the tech finds out...Good luck..!

We have had a freezing winter.. much much more cold then normal (20 degrees colder then usual winters) would this have caused anything to go wrong?

Thank you!

Oh, I would NEVER attempt to do anything my self.. that is why people are educated professionals... of which I am not.. lol

I will post... guy is coming out after 1:00

What state do you live in???

Eastern North Carolina...

Well living on AUX heat for now... its crappy weather so the guy cannot come out... of course its POURING...

BTW I have a split unit... I've learned that... today.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreviston View Post
    Well living on AUX heat for now... its crappy weather so the guy cannot come out... of course its POURING...

BTW I have a split unit... I've learned that... today.
    Could be something fairly simple like a coil on a solenoid that makes the reversing valve go...or it could be something much worse. Actually there are 100's of things that it could be.

Best thing to do would be to set the thermostat to Emergency Heat mode, some stats say AUX and that's the same thing...but it's different than the normal heat selection.

Good luck.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Thank you so much for your kindness to take the time to post Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast