Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by notcool
    well... here's another question for those in the know. The AC coils are at 55*. I friend of the family who's a technician (he hasn't looked at the system though) says it should be much colder, at 35*. Is this true? The technician who looked at my place said 55* is fine since the incoming air is at 80* and anything around an 18* delta is fine.
    Your family friend may be thinking of evaporator temperature, not discharge air temperature. There's a big difference. And at that, normal evaporator temperature runs between 40 to 45 degrees. 35 is coming too close to a frozen coil if airflow is poor, which it often is.

Your condo situation to me sounds like a supply ducting problem. If you have moist, mushy drywall above the air handler, that's probably where your problem is. Could be the duct is loose at that location, allowing moisture to condense on exposed metal duct surfaces as the cold air escapes the coil and meets the warmer, moist air in the chase.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Duct cleaning = possible torn flex tube?? Just a thought

Originally posted by ruuduser
    Duct cleaning = possible torn flex tube?? Just a thought

I have had the ducts cleaned, however, this problem was occurring before the duct cleaning. Originally, I had hoped that the duct cleaning would fix the problem... boy was I wrong.

It looks like my best bet now is to get a duct cleaning/repair company to come over with a camera and hope that the problem can be isolated to the ducts.

Post Check this...

Since the entire supplysystem is being effeced I would assume the problem is in the return...

I would remove the blower door and see what happens... Perhaps the return air has collapsed internally and is chocking the air flow.... If you cannot pull a return you aren't going to get a supply...

My vote is the RA is at issue here...

Let us know...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    25 drop thru the coil,could be lack of return ,but how does the supply leaving the coil at 55,get to 71 at the supply grill?

My Saga is Over!!!!!

Well, everything is fixed now and you won't believe what was wrong. To recap (I know this is long, but its interesting):

1) Bought a condo in August and had a AC technician (his company was the original installer of the AC unit) look at it because of weak air flow and the AC was not cooling the home down. He found nothing wrong but noted that the front panel of my AC unit (a cut piece of sheet metal) was not the original front panel (this is important later).

2) Winter comes along and since I'm in the middle of a 4 story condo, so I don't have to worry about heating because of ambient heat and my fireplace.

3) Present time: It starts getting hot again and my AC still does not work properly. A second technician looks at the unit (different from the first company) and once again, finds nothing wrong, but suggests that my ducts may be the cause of the problem.

Since no one could tell me what was wrong and I was sweating balls, I start thinking drastically. My father and I decide to cut a whole in the closet wall that is behind the AC unit, which incidentally had a wooden panel screwed into the wall already, but no HOLE. This leads me to believe that the builders were supposed to create a hole there for access originally, but just got lazy and slapped a wood panel there instead to make it look like they did work.

Once the hole was complete, we find the ORIGINAL front panel of the AC unit. The builders had forgotten it inside the wall... geniuses these guys were. There weren't any holes in the ducts so we then open up an access panel to look inside the ducts. Guess what we found? The AC installers had left the screen/door inside the ducts CLOSED. This of course was the cause of the problem.

I can't believe that in the 8 years that the condo existed and the previous 2 people that owned it, no one fixed this problem. Between the previous owners and the builders, the level of stupidity and incompetence is just amazing (I'm blaming the previous owners also because you would have to be completely idiotic to live in the place during the summer). I do want to thank everyone here who has helped out with advice or atleast shown concern. I'm just glad this whole problem has now been fixed.

On a side note: The AC company (this is a big company in my area) that installed the unit is recommended by the condo association when there is a problem. I would assume that they were called to look at the place by the previous 2 owners at one point or another, so they must of had a history of knowing that they could NOT identify what was wrong. Yet, they still took my money even when they knew they could do nothing for me. I'm definitely not calling them for anything again and in my book, they are a dishonest and incompetent (due to original installers) company to deal with.

[Edited by notcool on 06-09-2005 at 10:29 AM]

Too bad you didn't get any pictures and document this really well. Sounds like a bit of court case to me. Any hack who leaves a system like this after an install deserves to pay a bit. Make sure to let it be known around the complex the quality of work this company is doing. If they leave a job in that condition it might pay to have some of the other installs in the complex checked over by an independant contractor as well. I don't usually bad mouth other contractors but this setup is just BS. There is no way these people should be in the HVAC business. I try to do as good a job as possible but we have to have people like this making the whole trade look bad.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You likely need to have the refrigerent charge ,checked again ,now that you have better air flow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123