I'm wondering what is the differences between these two gas furnaces. My contractor quoted me the XR series but has installed the XB series. Is the difference enough to raise heck over? The unit was just installed this eve in a new home and is far from being used anytime soon.

The XR allows outside combustion air be brought into the furnace. More efficient and better for the furnace. The XB has the old silicon carbide ignitor, supposedly a drawback but with the semi-reliability of the control system on the XR, I'm not so sure. But it is a cheaper furnace - what did you pay for????

cost?

You asked what did I pay for it? Well as of yet I haven't paid anything for it. To the best of my memory the quote given was for a 3.5 ton XR 12 SEER system with 90% heat at close to $6000 installed in Alabama.
    So you say the XR's reliability hasn't proven itself yet? Can you elaborate on it's short-comings? If you could put a dollar figure on the cost differential between the XB and XR would it be very significant?

There have been some bugs in the Intell-ignition board used on the XR90. I'd still prefer the XR for the intake PVC if the furnace is inside the house. You might look at the contract and be sure it called for the XR furnace. Cost difference varies by dealer, not a real big diff.

New Home/Condo Buer

Hello all,

I just recently bought a new home, but one of the deals I drove was to have an intake added to the furnace, which is a Trane XB series (low end). From this forum, am I correct in thinking that an XB cannot take outside air as an intake? Please let me know ASAP before they add the intake!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by herbor04 View Post
    Hello all,

I just recently bought a new home, but one of the deals I drove was to have an intake added to the furnace, which is a Trane XB series (low end). From this forum, am I correct in thinking that an XB cannot take outside air as an intake? Please let me know ASAP before they add the intake!

Thanks!
    An xb does not have piping for outside combustion air, it's an open heat exchanger.

The XB 90 is 90%, which must be closed, can you take an intake from outside on this furnace?

I would not install anything but sealed combustion in a new home, if he quoted the XR make him install the XR, they shouldn't even make the XB anymore, but then I feel the same way about 80%ers.
    You can't fix stupid

Isn't the XB90 vented through a PVC pipe? Why can't it take a PVC intake?

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    Open combustion. No provision to install pvc intake.. just pulls air from the conditioned space/ basement.

Buy an XV95. If you want the best of effciency and comfort, two stage and variable speed is the way to go. (regardless of brand) Buy the most efficient unit your budget will allow.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

This is nearly a 3 year old thread. At the time, it couldn't use outside air. Now that has changed so I guess it depends upon how old the XB90 is.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    This is nearly a 3 year old thread. At the time, it couldn't use outside air. Now that has changed so I guess it depends upon how old the XB90 is.
    Ha thats funny stuff there! I didn't even notice that! Hate it when people do that.
    You can't fix stupid