Thread: Purchaing a New A/C

Post Likes
    Hi, I'm a newbie. I have a 1500sqft 2story townhome in the Orlando, Florida 32714 area. We moved in new 1996. It's ALWAYS Been HOT on my side of the house, south facing. I keep the blinds closed, have solar film AND Dark Curtians on the windows, And R-30+ in the Attic, and the house has always felt humid. Ceiling fans run on high, in all rooms. The rest of the house will be 77 degrees and my room is 80-83degrees.

Unit: we have a 10-SEER A/C unit was installed 1995. Bryant 2.5ton outside unit, 3ton Airhandler w/heatpump. The coil inside has a leak (2yrs now) and I'm in a position to purchase a new unit. I want the best SEER rating I can get & afford based on my research. I'm thinking no less than 14 Ideally a 15-16, and 19 is out of the quesiton. $$$$.

All of the people I've called are pushing 12/13 SEER. To me that's low end; since 13-SEER will be manditory it's seems like they're trying to get rid of their old stock. When I ask for a 15-SEER they look at me funny and quote me $ BUCKS. HOLY COW! I can't afford that. I don't mind paying for products & service's But GEEZE.

My boss in Miami got a Trane 4ton XL14i 2speed for $ Airhandler and outside unit, which is almost a 15-SEER. So I'm thinking why not me too??

The quote I received today was for a Rudd UBHK 14-Seer straight Heat. for $. Is Ruud good? We don't run heat but for 5 minutes in the morning or when we first come home, otherwise the heat is always turned off during the winter.

Any help and advise would be GREATLY Appreciated. I want to save Electric costs. I mean NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE in my post...Please understand, I'm very frustrated & upset over the costs being quoted. I have $4k saved to purchase an A/C and didn't want to charge or borrow the money.

Thank you!!

David

Site rules, no pricing please

[Edited by lusker on 04-20-2005 at 08:52 PM]

Post Likes
    The Ruud system would be nice. Can use a 2 stage stat or humidistat for extra dehumidification.

High SEER stuff is pricey as is a quality installation. The Wall of Shame is full of hack work!

Post Likes
    We cant offer any opinion on pricing here.

In Orlando, you might still want a heat pump. Maybe in south Florida you can go straight cooling with heat strips but Orlando might be questionable. One of the Florida boys might be able to tell you better. On the otherhand a straight cooling unit will cost less to install and may offer better summer efficiencies than a heat pump. If it does get cold enough to run heat for more than just an hour or so, it could get expensive to heat. If I recall there is a limit to how much resistance heat you can install before requiring a heat pump in Florida. Maybe it was 5k or something. Again see the Florida boys.

The Ruud UBHK is a good air handler with VS and dehumidification capabilities but make sure its matched to the same brand outside. Several units without going hog wild will get you between 14 and 15 SEER matched with the UBHK.

Are there currently any utility rebates available in your area?

Maybe Dash can give you some ideas or a referral if its out of his area.

Post Likes
    Thank you for your replys with your help and advise! I appreciate it!

I got the Email from the Moderator about NOT Posting pricing AFTER I posted my post. I'm sorry to have included it in my original post.

Oh it gets COLD in Orlando! LOL. We just don't run the heat that much, only enough to take the chill out, about 5-10 minutes worth MAX! We use space heaters or electric blankets to keep warm.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    If you get a heat pump,you'll be able to afford to run it and it will likely help at resale time.

The high end system are pricey but the comfort and economy is great.

Post Likes
    You probably will be dollars ahead if you get a 12-SEER and spend the savings on (1) a blower door test (2) duct leakage test (3) repair the leaks these tests find in the house envelope and the ducts.

It is usually cheaper to keep the humidity from entering the house than to remove it with an A/C or a dehumidifier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in