Question

Anyone have any ballpark # of how much refrigerant one might loose in a year on a 750 Ton reciprocal York chiller used for HVAC chilled water for 6 months in the summer? I have no idea and was curious as normal. Brian

Lightbulb I meant centrifugal not reciprocal :)

Sorry I meant centrifugal not reciprocal

Wink

None,Zero,Zip,Nada........

I can not help saying that I always find that question a bit comical. I realize you want to try and estimate the amount of leakage one may expect in a year, but some folks actually think that a unit is somehow suppose to burn freon to work right. They are always asking how much freon should this thing use every year? The big point is, it is not suppose to leak anything and if it is, and you are the responsible person for repairs, you could be subject some bad things???

if you are running a plant and are getting hammered for refrigerant, there are many possibilities. as an example, if you have an older low pressure machine with an old style purge, chances are you are losing some. if you are doing maintainence such as changing filters you will lose some. this is not a large quantity and unless you run the machine at full load you probably wouldnt even notice. if the machine has leaks and you dont get them fixed then you will lose lots of gas. if you have a dual temp system and pop the rupture disk, you will lose it all. the reality is that your machine should be tight, it should be tested and any leaks should be taken care of, thereby giving you virtually no loss.

none. you should never lose refrigerant from any system.
    if do you have a leak.