Thread: Amana to Air-Ease

Post Likes
    We have had a very old Amana a/c and a newer Amana furnace. Last fall, as part of an addition we contracted to have the a/c replaced and moved to a new location. The dealer was to replace the A coil and install the wiring and tubing in the fall and come back in the spring to install the condensor. The unit listed in the contract is an Amana RCC (12 seer).

I was in the process of scheduling their visit out this spring and was informed that Amana no longer has a distributor in the north suburban Chicago area and the dealer no longer carries it. They want to substitute an Air-Ease "Concept 1200" or "Enhanced Concept 1200". I'm not sure if the distributor thing is true or just an excuse. Regardless:

1) How does Air-Ease compare to Amana?
    2) Is this a good substitution or should I tell them no and look elsewhere? They also sell Lennox, but say the Air-ease is better.
    3) If I do take it, will there be a problem using an amana A coil with the Air-Ease?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    I would have no trouble using an Air-Ease 12 SEER outdoor unit vs a Amana. The new 12H series has a nice louvered cabinet, Copeland scroll with sound cover. BUT, I would want it on the proper Air-Ease coil. High SEER stuff shouldn't mix & match.

Post Likes
    Hey, that's a good looking installation.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    That's a nice looking unit. Is the compressor isolated from the coil so it can be accessed while the unit is operating?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    WoW! I just did an Internet search for "air-ease" and got bombarded with direct to consumer Internet sites selling this brand.

Is this a York product?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Air Ease is Armstrong

You can access the comp from the back door BUT look out from the fan blade. Like Goodman, there's no venturi ring around it so your paw could get cut off if you reach too far in.

Seems the HO can get about anything these days. Customer we quoted came up with his own Choo Choo but will pay for us to install.

Thanks Mr Bill, I'll tell Rick you liked his install

Post Likes
    OK, found it. Air-Ease is an Armstrong product that is a division of Lennox.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Would you consider an Air-Ease A coil with an Air-Ease a/c a "must have" or a "nice to have"?

What about Lennox? Would that be a better option?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by poodleboy
    Would you consider an Air-Ease A coil with an Air-Ease a/c a "must have" or a "nice to have"?

What about Lennox? Would that be a better option?
    As long as if your installing "new" equipment match coil with condenser mfg., and make sure your getting a scroll compressor in whatever you buy and you should be good to go with any brand.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    On 10 SEER, I wouldn't be as bothered but on 12 SEER I think it is critical to have an ARI rated match. It isn't so much the brand as which coil it is. For example in Air-Ease, the SCU10H36 mates with a U2E36 coil. But to get 12 SEER, you either need to add a TXV to that coil or use the U2E46 coil. So even if you found an Amana outdoor unit, it is important that the coil you have is designed to be used with the RCC outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    The A coil is already in the furnace...they installed it last fall. I believe it is an Amana model. Should I insist that it be swapped out if they want to go with the Air-Ease A/C on the outside?

Post Likes
    Either that or have a Goodman brand condenser compatible to the Amana installed. Condensing units and heat pumps of those two brands are now identical except for the louver configuration. The Goodman brand has basically gone to the Amana technology.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Thanks to everyone for your help. Just two last questions?

I checked with the dealer and he said that the A coil in the furnace is an "ADP" (at least I think those are the initials he used) designed for a 12 seer a/c. Any concerns using it with the Air-Ease 12H (enhanced concept 1200)?

Finally, would you consider the Air-Ease a comparable "value" to the orignially proposed Amana RCC of a similar size?

Thanks again!

Post Likes
    Boy, they've realllly cheapened Amana if the outdoor units are that similar Used to be the RCC was a nice unit. Copeland scroll with sound cover, wire top, venturi ring, comp cover... all stuff the CLJ doesn't have.

ADP and Air-Ease coils are virtually identical. But would have to know the exact coil installed and the outdoor unit chosen to know if ARI rates them as a match.

[Edited by BaldLoonie on 04-22-2005 at 05:32 PM]

Post Likes
    What do you mean by CLJ? I'm comparing the Amana RCC and Air-Ease 12H. Did I miss something. Thanks again!

Post Likes
    When he thought you had an Amana coil, Robo suggested going to a Goodman unit since you couldn't find an Amana. To me, there's a world of difference between the CLJ which is Goodman's 12 SEER and the RCC.

Find out the model # of the ADP installed and what size SCU12H you need.

Post Likes
    Understood.

I think from what I have heard here, I'll be OK going with the Air-Ease 12H. I'll double check with the dealer on the coil. I don't get the impression that they are trying to cheat me, but any time things change midstream I worry.

Thanks for all of your help. It was invaluable.

Post Likes
    I think it is a coleman(york) I just replaced one this year it was 21/2 yrs old.Had so many things wrong with it that it was cheaper to.

Post Likes
    Baldy, I believe you are thinking of the Amana RCE 13 SEER condenser, not the RCC 12 SEER.
    Training is important!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in