Thread: Can a Mod be modified?

Post Likes
    Got a Ruud Mod furnace and Mod stat last spring. I installed it this past winter. Great furnace! Anyway, today I noticed that Ruud changed the furnace board and Mod stat board during the 4th quarter of last year-
    IFC Revision-04 (62-24174-01) to allow on-demand dehumidification-a production change made some time after I got my equipment.
    " a new dehumidification terminal has been added to the thermostat terminal block. This terminal will permit the user to install dehumidification without the need to munipulate any dipswitches. In addition, the control allows the use of two-stage cooling and dehumidification at the same time and separate cooling airflows for high efficiency (up to 16 SEER) cooling."
    A single humidifier's humidistat can now be used to control a humidifier in the winter and initiate the dehumidification mode in the summer. The on-demand dehumidification mode reduces blower speed by 15%. It appears the IFC has been modified slightly too. Details appear in pages 38-43 of the latest Mod installation guide.
    My questions:
    1)Can I modify my Mod to achieve these new features?
    2)Will I need a different IFC board?
    3)Can I use my old Mod stat and perhaps a different board, or do some other type of work around?
    I'm really glad to see Ruud add this feature set for improved dehumidification. I'll be even happier if I can mod my Mod to take advantage of it.

Post Likes
    It would take the new board to do it if you have an older board. The Mod stat probably wouldn't work with the dehumidification feature but you can get a simple humidifier humidistat to slow the blower in high humidity. Don't see how it can be the same on your humidifier is using but maybe there's some tricky wiring that allows it. Any insight Doc or Modman?

Post Likes
    Yes, the new boards are backward compatible.

Post Likes
    Does stl mean St. Louis Mo. ? If so i may be able to help
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Guess I'll have to call my wholesaler and see what a new board runs? It's a shame the stat can't be sent in and modified. It's to the point that HVAC electronics are becoming outdated as fast as computer electronics. Guess that's the price to pay for fancy features. Anybody need a 4 month old dealer owned Mod Stat?

Post Likes
    Yes, I'm in the greater St. Louis area. What do you have in mind jpb2? Perhaps we've already done business together.

Post Likes
    stl, if you know me call at the branch in Jackson or call the godfather ruud bob. have a great week. I will come set up the new control for a small fee... lol
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Modman Guest
    [i]Originally posted by stl hvac
    My questions:
    1)Can I modify my Mod to achieve these new features?
    2)Will I need a different IFC board?
    3)Can I use my old Mod stat and perhaps a different board, or do some other type of work around?
    I'm really glad to see Ruud add this feature set for improved dehumidification. I'll be even happier if I can mod my Mod to take advantage of it. [/B]
    The Mod is now in the capable hands of the Electronic/Advanced Engineering Department to adapt to the latest features/seer requirements. I'm not fully in the loop any more.
    I beleive Doc is up to date. As he says - the new boards and T-stat are backward compatable. The focus is to keep backward compatibility. The boards would not have been changed if there were another way.
    I'm sure a creative control (freak?) may think of a way to manipulate these controls to achieve some of the features added. I have no clue.

Post Likes
    Doc, you said
    Yes, the new boards are backward compatible.

for those of us that are not familiar with that term , would you please explain what " backward compatable " is?

Modman Guest
    Works on old and new RGFD & RGGD products.
    If it only worked on new products it would not be considered backward comp.

[Edited by Modman on 04-20-2005 at 01:56 PM]

Post Likes
    jpb2
    Jackson is a bit of a jaunt for me. Godfather Ruud Bob is probably my best bet. I can handle the changeout fine, but thanks for the offer.

Does anybody know, is this the last Mod IFC board upgrade for cooling improvements Ruud will be doing for a while? The latest here seems pretty good.

Modman Guest
    That's it for awhile

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for the input on modding a Mod. This forum is a great place to discuss things like this and compare notes.
    Thanks again

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in