Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

two stage cooling wire

A contractor is replacing my old bryant system with a trane XR15-XV80 system. The existing thermostat wire has two conductors to the outdoor unit, but the trane system has two stage cooling and requires three wires. The existing wire is run through a two story wall to the attic so probably cannot fish a new wire. The contractor gave me two choices:

1. Run a new 3 conductor wire along the outside of the brick, through the eave and into the attic.

2. Use the existing two wire conductor and use the the copper refrigerant line as a third wire.

Option #2 looks better, but it sounds like a hack. Any suggestions?

thx

I vote option #1, as long as the wire is in conduit.

This guy seriously suggested using the refrigerant line as a conductor?

yes, he said it would work.

I had three quotes for this install and he pointed out defects in the existing system that the other two guys missed. This was the only questionable point and he gave me a choice, so i guess i shouldn't be too concerned.

Refer line?

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    I vote option #1, as long as the wire is in conduit.

This guy seriously suggested using the refrigerant line as a conductor?
    I have used the (insulated) suction line..temporarily..maybe twice..but by all means..not a permemant fix..smh
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by bobskurka View Post
    yes, he said it would work.

I had three quotes for this install and he pointed out defects in the existing system that the other two guys missed. This was the only questionable point and he gave me a choice, so i guess i shouldn't be too concerned.
    That's a new one on me!!

He either runs the new wire or he doesn't do the job. That is what I would tell him.

Why does everyone make such a big fuss about cutting out a little drywall to conceal wires?? Drywall fixing is the easiest thing to do in the construction trades. You will be much happier in the long run if you spend the money and take the time to do it properly at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobskurka View Post
    A contractor is replacing my old bryant system with a trane XR15-XV80 system. The existing thermostat wire has two conductors to the outdoor unit, but the trane system has two stage cooling and requires three wires. The existing wire is run through a two story wall to the attic so probably cannot fish a new wire. The contractor gave me two choices:

1. Run a new 3 conductor wire along the outside of the brick, through the eave and into the attic.

2. Use the existing two wire conductor and use the the copper refrigerant line as a third wire.

Option #2 looks better, but it sounds like a hack. Any suggestions?

thx

#2 is hack

Use a wireless thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    #2 is hack

Use a wireless thermostat.
    Still has to be hard-wired from the RF base to the OD unit, wireless or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    I have used the (insulated) suction line..temporarily..maybe twice..but by all means..not a permemant fix..smh
    Operative word being "temporary".

There are folks making wireless solutions like a Jackson Systems "wireless relay" wr-400, think they have even been advertising on this site a bunch recently.

Talking

XR15 is single stage condensing unit,XV80 is 2-stage heat variable 80%afue.
    Ethics are as important as education.

Run it down the drain line.

If the upstairs system has a secondary drain line that runs down stairs, you can have him fish the wire down through it. Ive used that trick on a straight drain pipe to replace a liquid line.

It truly would not hurt anything if he used the refrigerant line as a conductor as long as he is substituting it for the "common" wire, and i'm sure that is what he was intending to do. Just make sure he runs a wire from the refrigerant lines in the attic into the furnace to the "common" terminal instead of relying on the unit housing to do that job. It's a little hack, but it does the job and there are no disadvantages to doing it. It will not hurt the xv80.

just caught that- hmmmm XR-15. You sure thats a two stage cooling unit?

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Still has to be hard-wired from the RF base to the OD unit, wireless or not.
    I think there are systems that have a unit for the condensing unit, air handler and also the thermostat.

The honeywell systems need a control wire from the A/H to the condensing unit, so they aren't completely wireless unless being used on a package unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast