Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What if I put a 3 ton coil with a 4 ton TXV on a 4 ton condenser, all the same brand, to control the humidity better, and this isn’t in their “matched” approved list, will they warranty a compressor then?

The compressors will continued to be warrantied regardless
    of who's coil, until the dist. have enough man power to go to ever job were a compressor failed, and I don't see this happening in my lifetime or unless it becomes an accross the board policy with all mfg. and dist. this is just all talk as for as I am concerned and will continue to be just that "talk"
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Let me rephrase it....

The compressor is covered for defect in material or workamnship. If a compressor fails for any reason other than that, it is a flase claim. What's copeland or bristols responsibility for such a failure? They make it clear that compressors cant handle liquid, they make it clear moisture will cause acid, they make it clear that oil is required. We all know that. Regardless of whos TXV it is, in the case of a failure causing floodback which in turns kills the compressor is not a covered failure (The TXV would be covered). Never was inteded to be, it is simply abused to the point it doesnt seem to affect anyones concience.

My post wasnt in regard to warranty because that's almost a lost cause. My post was regarding technical support. My question was merely why should the outdoor unit mfg be required to support a system that is made up of various componants by other manufacturers? Which or who's componant caused the failure? How was it installed? Why is it not performing like I want it to? These questions should be directed to the systme designer which in the case of a mismatch is the one who did it, not the individual piece parts supplier.

Originally posted by madeinusa
    What if I put a 3 ton coil with a 4 ton TXV on a 4 ton condenser, all the same brand, to control the humidity better, and this isn’t in their “matched” approved list, will they warranty a compressor then?
    Man, that might be a question for Dave "airman1" as for as if that would even be a good idea, we are not in the design business we at least match ton for ton that way at least you are in the ballpark on trying to charge a system, they say the TXV should match the condenser but in your case "I don't know!"
    yes, yaw have my permission to copy and paste this in you diary that "I don't know".
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I bet Goodman's % of matched coil sales are the lowest in the industry. But I would think going to a no warranty unless matched policy wouldn't hurt their sales that much. Most guys that hack on an old coil aren't too worried about stuff like that. Be nice if manufacturers took more of a stand on the issue to try to get things done right. Warranty returns that could be prevented cost us all money.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    But I would think going to a no warranty unless matched policy wouldn't hurt their sales that much.
    I agree on that because there stuff is cheap! and you might be able to sell the HO a coil, but then lets go to Ruud stuff and try and sell them a Ruud coil with every condenser replacement, now we might have some issues.

As doc has stated, as wrong as it is, distributors are not usually going to question warrantied parts. Why should they? The parts get warrantied, the cost of the warrantied parts is put back on the manufacturer and that cost is reintroduced to all installers whether they install according to the manufacturers specs or not.

Mrbillpro has a valid point. I have run into quite a few like him that were flabbergasted that I had the nerve to require them to install the product properly or I would not help them with warranty.

As it is, the way manufacturers are set up, it is more cost effective to let most of the warranty issues slide and just pass the extra cost of warrantied parts destroyed by abuse and misapplication to the contractors.

With as tight as systems are now being made, this policy is going to have to change.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    But I would think going to a no warranty unless matched policy wouldn't hurt their sales that much.
    I agree on that because there stuff is cheap! and you might be able to sell the HO a coil, but then lets go to Ruud stuff and try and sell them a Ruud coil with every condenser replacement, now we might have some issues.
    Why? I hate to say it but come January, your condenser only changeouts will go by the wayside.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Why? I hate to say it but come January, your condenser only changeouts will go by the wayside.

Do you really think that will stop guys from doing condenser onlys??It should but will it??

Those who insist on only changing part of a system will soon get out of the habit if manufacturers consistantly and unanimously stop handing out warranty parts for mis-matched systems.

It is going to have to come to this. The public will be the first to take the hit as the shoddy contractors that practice bad applications blame the manufacturers. In about two years, the real hard core bozos will be doing some other type of work and the others will comply.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Those who insist on only changing part of a system will soon get out of the habit if manufacturers consistantly and unanimously stop handing out warranty parts for mis-matched systems.
    Hey, don't get me wrong this would be great! "IF" the mfg. would do this that would just mean MO money for all of us.
    and Robo, I don't think that the majority of us insist on doing the partial change out if every customer we went to had plenty money, I would I would always insist they should do this, but what about the poor girl raising 3 kids holding down two jobs as we had today that lives in such a small house it had a 1.5 ton a/c on it well we just cleaned the evap. and set her a new condenser, you have to remember not everyone makes the big bucks like you Robo there are accually some PO folks out there.

Since when is this a charity business? I dont mean to sound insensitive or imply any disrespect to those who cant make ends meet, hell, I'm one of 'em. Air Conditioning is a luxury. Theres always window units at home depot. If it comes down to a matter of it has to be hacked in by mismatching, then fine, just make sure they understand there is no performance garuntee and that it could have warranty consequenses.

Now not having heat on the otherhand is an issue and last time I checked there were plenty of programs and willing contractors who devote their time and resources to help there.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Air Conditioning is a luxury.
    Just call me a hack "i can take it" but in Houston, Tx. a/c is not a luxury maybe in your neck of the woods.

Since when is this a charity business? since I got into business because I am a "believer" and my Bible tells me you reap what you sow! well I have reaped 10 fold what I have sowed in my 27 years and will continue to help folks out that sincerely can't afford to get their air repaired, that is why God put me into this business because of my heart. And to all you greedy a/c guys out there don't think for one minute if you harden your heart to these good folks that can't afford to get their air repaired, God can take your business away quicker than you can blink your eye if he desires.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast