Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I met with my dealer today to go over the final specs for a Goodman GMV90905DXA 2 stage variable furnace with a CLQ30-1 AC unit. He is suggesting an ADP cased coil with TXV for the coil instead of the Goodman CAPX061D2A. Is this an exceptable substitution? He called his distributor from my home and was told that they do not stock Goodman coils and all of his dealers use the ADP coils. He will special order it if I insist. Should I? Any advantages oneway or another? I'm assuming someone at the distributer (or is it Goodman or ADP) makes sure that the right coil is selected to get maximum performance and efficieny.
    Thanks.

I do believe that yes mfg. probably build there components to work hand in hand better with each other, but I do not believe at all the you can't use another's mfg. coil to achieve close to or even maybe better performance, there is so many if's, and's and but's in business a man don't know what to believe anymore.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

RCU-A-C 539309 CLQ30-1* HD14436+TD 14.00 27400
    RCU-A-C 532788 CLQ30-1* HE34436+TD 14.00 26000
    RCU-A-C 418942 CLQ30-1* HE48436+TD 14.00 27400
    RCU-A-C 531244 CLQ30-1* H,GE36436+TD 14.00 27200
    RCU-A-C 539288 CLQ30-1* H,G,JE48336+TD 14.00 27400
    RCU-A-C 540244 CLQ30-1* H,G,JE48436+TD 14.00 27400

Equipment makers sure don't want you buying 3rd party coils but around here, ADP is very common and pushed by several big distributors. We've had great reliability with them, seem to hear the same thing on here. Above are the matches for ADP coils with the CLQ30. Watch the capacity, that 2.5 ton seems to rate out about 2.25 ton with an ADP coil. Not sure how it does with a Goodman coil.

[Edited by lusker on 04-19-2005 at 08:11 PM]

After market coils are computer program rated with an acceptable accuracy of 10%+-.

Manufacturers actually test the components together and must be within a 5%+- accuracy range.

Point being, you don't know what efficiency you will actually get with an aftermarket coil and you really don't know if there are going to be any compatibility issues using an aftermarket coil.

Goodman coils and ADP coils are actually quite similar, so there may not be much of a difference. But, ADP coils are also rated with Rheem/Ruud equipment where there is a volume difference. This has caused issues during lower but acceptable ambient conditions and low load conditions.

It's best to install the components that the manufacturer has matched and tested.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

So if you have a problem who you gonna call for support? Goodman or ADP. Unless Goodman says its an acceptable match, you dont have much right to support from them. ADP is going to only support the coil even though they were the ones who said its ok to match it.

Here's a kicker scenario; let's say both the Goodman coil and the ADP coil use the exact same TXV from the exact same vendor. Let's say that TXV fails within the first year of operation "and" its failure causes damage to the compressor.

Even though it is the same TXV, if it isn't in a Goodman coil, Goodman has no responsibility for the TXV or to the failed compressor.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq

Even though it is the same TXV, if it isn't in a Goodman coil, Goodman has no responsibility for the TXV or to the failed compressor.
    So if I hook up a Goodman condenser to a perfecly good existing evaporator coil "say Aspen" and the compressor fails they should not have to warranty it? that's a real peace of mind to buy Goodman.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I've written warranty claims on every brand out there including Goodman. Not once has any form or distributor asked what the evap was. Only place where I've seen it mentioned is in ICP's new program giving a new outdoor unit if comp fails in 5 years - it specifies must have matched ICP coil.

Robos right. No, the mfg ASSUMES it was installed per thier instructions. However, if a feild rep asks for matching coil information for say multiple failures and either by visiting the job and verifying it was something other than thier equipment that caused the failures, he could and should deny the claim.

My point was, if you cant get the system to perform or have failures of one type or another and ask for help, the mfg can only support a properly installed, matched (in thier books) system. Blad you have seen a new warranty that is on several premium systems by different mfg's which I am sure will bleed down to average systems soon.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    I've written warranty claims on every brand out there including Goodman. Not once has any form or distributor asked what the evap was. Only place where I've seen it mentioned is in ICP's new program giving a new outdoor unit if comp fails in 5 years - it specifies must have matched ICP coil.
    And I have turned down claims that were not installed as per manufacturers specifications with properly matched components.

Just because you get off lucky, doesn't make it right.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    if your dealer is including a TXV he probably knows what he is doing.

Goodman my have the right to deny a compressor warranty if not matched with there coil but you can bet if that was company policy they would be at the bottom of the total sales list, and most likely out of business, that would be like GM telling me that if I buy this truck you will need to buy our GM boat if you plan on pulling a boat because if the tranny fails we will not warranty it.

While your analogy is no where near accurate, you are correct that most distributors will not question the cause of any failed part.

The indoor coil is an integral part of the HVAC system, not an add on trailer. The indoor coil needs to be compatible in size and ability to meter within the bounds of the outdoor units compressor. These two components are simply seperated parts of the same system.

Now, if you put a Ford tranny in that Chevy, you can bet you bippy that Chevy is not going to warranty a damaged engine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast