Question Air-cooled chiller PM

I am experienced in property management, but not a chiller experts. I recently took over a site with a 16 y.o. 205 ton McQuay air-cooled chiller. I asked a reputable service vendor for a proposal to do tear-down and eddy current testing. My previous experience being w/ water-centrifugal chillers, i thought this was a good idea not knowing chiller history.

The vendor replied that neither tear-downs or EC's are done on air-cooled chillers. I know the condenser isn't shell/tube, but isn't there value to EC an air exchange? Shouldn't the evaporator still be EC'? And finally, tearing down these outside units isn't done?

Am i wrong or is my service vendor?

I welcome comments/feedback. thanks

If this is a screw machine, tear-downs are not performed. I've never heard of a screw being EC'd either.

Your service contractor is correct. You can EC the evap barrel if there is a suspect rupture or if suspect lack of chemical treatment. Typically on smaller barrels after you have determined tube rupture you plug it, then budget to replace barrel or chiller. It is a good idea to inspect tubes after 5 years of operation for sludge, and tube cleaning if necessary. Other wise it would just be a typical PM on chiller. Mechanical & electrical. Condenser cleaning super critical, Im not talking a 1 hour hose job either, more like an all day water and chemical cleaning or steam clean.

All McQuay air cooled chillers I've worked on are direct expansion evaporators (the refrigerant is in the tubes not water). You can't EC a direct expansion evaporator. I copied a page from a McQuay IOM listing the maintenance schedule. You need to listen to your vendor on this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are flooded evap air cooled units AGS and Pathfinder.Your biggest battle is going to be keeping condenser fan motors in it,and compressors I assume this is a recip.

you can not eddy current test a dx chiller!

205 ton air cooled dx chiller?
    does it have a few recips on it?

what kind and how many compressors does it have?????????

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    you can not eddy current test a dx chiller!

205 ton air cooled dx chiller?
    does it have a few recips on it?

what kind and how many compressors does it have?????????
    You can't EC the refrigerant tubes after removing the end plate of the evap barrel??????

Quote Originally Posted by captinsano View Post
    There are flooded evap air cooled units AGS and Pathfinder.Your biggest battle is going to be keeping condenser fan motors in it,and compressors I assume this is a recip.
    The AGS comes with a DX evap. standard and a flooded evap as a option.

What do i have to go through all the vintages?

Appreciate replies. It is a packaged unit that provides CHW to 3 AHU's. I don't have nameplate data in hand, but attached photo. Based on feedback, sounds like a good PM is best choice.

ags is screw machine i think..
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!