+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Splits Everywhere

Post Likes

Mini Splits Everywhere

As I looked around, all I saw was mini-splits...Carrier, York, Fujitsu, Daikin, LG, Sanyo, Toshiba, Mitsubishi...everywhere even on the roofs...it was awesome. When will the States ever catch up?
    Attachment 159131

Attachment 159141

Attachment 159151

Attachment 159161

Attachment 159171

Post Likes
    Because, Americans love DUCTWORK. . . . according to Thomasena, Daikin Instructor
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    fresh air is fun too

Post Likes
    Is it us needing to catch up or them?

I look at some of these vacation homes on House Hunters International where they have 4 or 5 mini splits, often single systems meaning 4 or 5 outdoor units. That's a cost to install, a cost to maintain multiple units, 5 systems to repair. Seems to me 1 nice ducted unit, maybe zoned between living & sleeping, might make more sense.

Post Likes
    Yeah, ducting is cheap, especially compared to 4 or 5 mini splits - IN NEW CONTSTRUTION. I think the major difference here is that ducting ISN'T cheap when you look at adding it to old construction. Most likely, those old buildings only ever had a radiator on it, there's not likely even enough space between floors to install ducting. simply running the electrical and a few refrigerant lines seems a lot more practical in that situation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thrashme View Post
    As I looked around, all I saw was mini-splits...Carrier, York, Fujitsu, Daikin, LG, Sanyo, Toshiba, Mitsubishi...everywhere even on the roofs...it was awesome. When will the States ever catch up?
    Where were you? Looks like China. Seriously.
    Question authority!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream View Post
    Where were you? Looks like China. Seriously.
    pretty close... I'm guessing Singapore, from his other recent thread.

Post Likes
    Singapore and Malaysia....Another reason for not so much ducting in some buildings...concrete walls, and many narrow or small levels in residential construction. Also space is at a premium, space meaning square footage inside home, heaters are instant and on walls serving each bathroom or kitchen area.

Post Likes
    If I were living like a sardine in a can I'd rather have a mini then a fir down.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    I don't know I went inside a resi, it was on a row of connected homes, like townhouses, 20x 40 with a 40sq ft atrium/air well that went from bottom floor to top, oh yeah 5 floors each room had it's own wall mounted indoor unit. Some were multi's. In alot of the commercial installs they used ceiling cassettes...

Post Likes
    The Daikin distributor here has a major project, (High school in Taylor, TX) that is going to be ALL DAIKIN VRV. Says the biggest project in North America for Daikin.
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Ding, Ding... Ding! Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    If I were living like a sardine in a can I'd rather have a mini then a fir down.
    You nailed it. The reason "they" use mini-splits cause they're only dealing with two rooms (300 to 400 sf). I've spent time in Japan and in many cases there's no Heat or Air in an apartment. Sitting on the floor, around a little table. The Heater Is Under The Table. They're homes are not enormous like Americans.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Post Likes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    You nailed it. The reason "they" use mini-splits cause they're only dealing with two rooms (300 to 400 sf). I've spent time in Japan and in many cases there's no Heat or Air in an apartment. Sitting on the floor, around a little table. The Heater Is Under The Table. They're homes are not enormous like Americans.
    Think I'd move to Tokyo, Japan,
    If I like livin in a sardine can,
    Around a tiny table, cross-legged I'd sit,
    Cool as a cucumber with a mini-splilt.
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    Looks like a service nightmare to me... Teetering on a ladder trying to wressle a compressor into one of those.

Post Likes
    ahhhh, sooo, grasshoppah, you need be spiderman! all machines will work for long time, no worry!
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    Changed a compressor on an EMI last year. It was on a flat roof though. Tight.
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    While I was visiting family in Singapore, I did climb on their roof and wash out condenser coils...couldn't help myself. As I looked at some of the others stacked on top of each other, I could only envision the service nightmare. Let me find some other pics of units on high rise apt bldgs, mounted outside windows. Personally I don't ave the balls to work on those!

Post Likes
    Those hanging outside windows will have to run-to-failure, be a mega service call charge to fix for anything I would do.
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    Whadda think a service call could cost in China?????????
    a bowl of rice and a fish head.
    o/t would be 2 fish heads and rice.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Post Likes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    Whadda think a service call could cost in China?????????
    a bowl of rice and a fish head.
    o/t would be 2 fish heads and rice.
    YAH MAKA FUNNAH AH AIR CONDISHER? OR JES OUR WAY AH LIFE?
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in