Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

goodman furnace not resetting after power outage

Goodman gme80703bx about 8 months old. The electric company is doing a rolling blackout type situation because of the electricity usage around DFW. The power will just kick off for around 20 minutes and then come back on. It has happened twice this morning around 4 hours apart. Both times, my firnace never came back on. I gave it 30 minutes to reset the last time and nothing. I can go in the attic and unplug the unit, then plug it back it, it clicks twice and starts right back up. Anyone out there that can help me. My tech is going to call Goodman. The manual says it has a reset timer of 150 seconds or so. I just wanted to know if this could be some simple fix of setting, or if I have real problems. I hate to leave the house with it 14 degrees, knowing that the furnace isnt going to start up if they keep doing these rolling blackouts. thanks

I believe you are out of luck. The furnace electronics are trying to protect the furnace. The blackouts can cause damage to electric devices, such as burning out power supplies, refrigerator compressors , computers,etc. if the cycle between them is short. It does not sound like that is the case. I should point out that a blackout usually means you have lost power completely. Brown outs are really the ones that can do the real damage. May be time to invest in a generator.

Ive lived here my whole life, and have never had TXU do rolling blackouts across the state due to power usage because of the 10degree temps and ice. Its hard to believe that every time the electricity goes out, im going to have to go into the attic and unplug and plug in the unit. Like I told my tech...everyone that he has installed this unit in their home would be calling him this morning, asking why the furnace wont come on, since most people aren't going to go in their attic and unplug their unit. Anyway, I hope its a setting or something that can be resolved. I would love to hear more input if it exists.

It could be the stage your furnace is in when the power goes off that is causing more problems.

In the mean time don't you have a breaker in the electric panel for the furnace.
    Might be easier to get to.

you should change power companies to reliant energy im in north DFW area and not a problem here at all. but in the future you might want to to have a hvac surge protector installed just in case of a emergency. my company would be happy to come out and provide this service to if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by martin&sonsa/c View Post
    im in north DFW area and not a problem here at all.
    You must be near the Stadium, power is not going to go off there, you can bet your boots.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    It could be the stage your furnace is in when the power goes off that is causing more problems.

In the mean time don't you have a breaker in the electric panel for the furnace.
    Might be easier to get to.
    yes, It wasnt tripped, so I didnt think about that. I will try that next time. As far as the problem. Its not a big deal when Im home, and it doesnt normally get this cold, so the rolling blackouts have never happened. The high tomorrow is only supposed to be 20deg, so I hate to go to work knowing that the heat will not come back on after one of these intentional blackouts....since I have pets and dont want pipes to start freezing. Its supposed to get to 9 tonight, which is unheard of around dallas/ft worth area. Anyway, my tech is supposed to call Goodman, but please keep any feedback coming.

On a lighter note...all of the Super bowl activities and businesses that planned on making much $ this week has been wiped out due to the temps and icy roadways. Looks like the stadium roof will definitely be closed Sunday. Wont even be able to see the jets fly over after the National Anthem. They are flying from W Virgina (Ithink) and the price tag is around $400K to fly the 5 jets over. Sorry I got off subject there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You must be near the Stadium, power is not going to go off there, you can bet your boots.
    isnt that the truth. The buses with the teams were both being accompanied to the stadium with like 4 sanding trucks, the works...while everyone else was stuck in the ditch. The local news had some people calling in pissed. I am a cowboy fan, but not a Jerry Jones fan. You can tell it just burns him up that the cowboys arent playing in the SB this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm0001 View Post
    You can tell it just burns him up that the cowboys arent playing in the SP this year.
    I am a Texans and Cowboys fan, but I hate to break this to old Jerry, but I have $100.00 that says they won't be there next year either.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Quote Originally Posted by martin&sonsa/c View Post
    you should change power companies to reliant energy im in north DFW area and not a problem here at all. but in the future you might want to to have a hvac surge protector installed just in case of a emergency. my company would be happy to come out and provide this service to if you would like.
    I believe Oncor (Encore) is the one that keeps up with the grid and distributes power. TXU says they have no control over it. Do you live in a very dense area? My mom lives out of the city around 16 miles and hasnt had an issue. I figured it was just the densely populated areas that are sucking up the juice that are getting hit the most. I was actually going to ask about the UPS and if they existed for ac/furnaces. Now I know. If my tech cant get it figured out, then I will give you a shout. How are the roads over there? The main highways are fine, its just the backroads that are a .75" thick sheet of ice.

As a solar contractor, there are plenty of ways to keep a furnace going in a blackout, ups systems would work if you could afford one( expensive).Battery back up(expensive as well) with converterBasically a ups). A Honda generator would be your best bet and you could even take it with you.

It is a bit disappointing that as the electronics in these have gotten more complicated, it appears no thought has really gone into bringing the power supplies up to date.

We have had a ton of calls this morning and they are due to either blackouts or low gas pressure. Since the gas pressure is low to most houses due to the demand, the furnaces wont kick on until the pressure builds back up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast