Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State license for hvac???

Post Likes
    what if any states have a licencing programe. ie you must have a state license to install / fix ac's

Post Likes
    Most I think depend on if it's residental or commercial.
    My state requires one for commercial, and anything above 3 family dwelling I think it is.

But my county office reguires I register with them to do buisness in my area.
    With that I need a given amount of ins. And a license # issued by the state.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    toolpusher, your county licence has nothing to do with hvac, only that you are conducting business in the county.

all counties in florida are that way.

my interest is in specific hvac regulations

Post Likes
    Originally posted by diddlywhoot
    toolpusher, your county licence has nothing to do with hvac,
    Well without being registered, (didn't say county license) I can not do any HVAC. I can't advertise, I can't pull permits, I can't work. So my registration has everything to do with HVAC.

For me to be registered I had to have a license and ins .

Maybe you should take the test, get insured, and play by the book.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    I live in Illinois, here you only have to have a bussiness license and the minimum insurance coverage the state mandates. However I was in Mo for a training seminar and one of the local techs there told me he was there to fulfill his minimum andual training requirements and the state requires each of them to be individualy licensed for their trade just like plumbers. I thought that was pretty cool and wish Illinois would follow suit.

Post Likes
    In NC you have to have a contractors license for new installations or changeouts. Repairs are covered under the 608 certification program administered by the NC State Board Of Refrigeration Examiners, which is controlled by HVAC contractors. You can work on anything your certification covers, but new equipment is reserved for HVAC contractors. There is a different board for refrigeration contractors with their own contractors license. Must be some kind of power struggle???

Post Likes
    Idaho requires an HVAC Contractors license for the business.
    Each tech needs an HVAC license to install or service
    equipment. Just went into effect Jan. 1.

Post Likes

Texas License

In Texas you have to take a state test for the Type of license ,Enviromental Air conditioning or Refrigeration. There are also the class A or B which just dictates what size systems you can work on. A is unlimited and B is up to 25 tons. The test is about the same between A and B, only difference is the state insurance req. The test in my opinion is tuff but reasonable. Code questions, basic A/C system understanding and troubleshooting, Manual J calcs, State contractor law and IRS Law. I don't know how consumers get reliable service in states that don't have testing. And Texas just put in C.E. reqs for HVAC licenses. And from reading the enforcement letters Texas plays hardball with people who work without a license, That and most suppliers won't even talk to ya if you are not licensed.

Post Likes
    See if this is what you`re looking for::::::::

http://www.nationalcontractors.com/hvac/
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

Exclamation

In Kentucky the contractor must hold a masters lic.
    It has to be on any ad's.

The tech's have to have a
    lic. either master,journeyman or apprentice.

Master & Journeymen have to have at least 8 hrs of continuing edu to renew yearly. No ceu needed for apprentice.

A master/journeyman has to be on site & can have I believe
    four apprentices under him.

In reguards to Foxtrots post I read somewhere that a contractor got caught 2nd offense w/ no lic. and got
    10 days in county-

Post Likes
    Originally posted by berad
    I live in Illinois, here you only have to have a bussiness license and the minimum insurance coverage the state mandates. However I was in Mo for a training seminar and one of the local techs there told me he was there to fulfill his minimum andual training requirements and the state requires each of them to be individualy licensed for their trade just like plumbers. I thought that was pretty cool and wish Illinois would follow suit.
    Berad,
    Actually, only St. Louis County has that requirement here in Missouri. There is no statewide requirement. I wish there were too! I travel to St. Louis area to get most of my training but I don't see many/any of the other HVAC techs from my area doing any training at all.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by reb77
    Originally posted by berad
    Berad,
    Actually, only St. Louis County has that requirement here in Missouri. There is no statewide requirement. I wish there were too! I travel to St. Louis area to get most of my training but I don't see many/any of the other HVAC techs from my area doing any training at all.
    I was at the Trane facility in Bridgeton, MO. Right outside of St. Louis so it makes complete sense. Around here, any toothless hillbilly can put a magnetic sign on their truck and be a heetin n coolin CONtractor. It drives me nuts and makes it difficult for the educated, honest guys trying to conduct and honest and precision based bussiness. There are only a handful of people in my area that know how to accurately run a load calculation. I'm talking maybe a half dozen or so.

Post Likes
    In pa, you have to, to, heck you just have to call yourself a hvac contractor and thats it.

Post Likes
    In Oklahoma you have to be HVAC Contractor licensed with the state, which require Bond and insurance. Then each locality, city or county with code enforcement require you to register your license with them.
    Some as cheaply as $35 per year, to $150, with first year often being double. The double Makes you think twice before going to a town to do just one job, tho I should not complain as you can get more for your work.

I think I am registered in about 6 cities and counties. Now if you do work in an area that does not have a code division with inspections, you are still required to perform all work to state code.
    Tho not perfect by any means, The system has really worked well in Oklahoma. Code regulatory bodies have done a good job of reducing unlicensed HVAC work.
    Jax

Post Likes
    N.C. requires a license to perform installations and "major" service.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    the city of syracuse has a license requirement. city of fulton too. our local association along with the builders assoc. is pushing for a license in all of onondaga county. the county exec.likes the idea so it's coming.

Post Likes

Post Idaho journeyman license

I'm looking for any info on this exam for Idaho licensing. Imwas a journeyman commercial installer in local 105 but transfered my card to the local 213 in Idaho and cant work without a state journeymans licence.
    Last edited by stewyog; 12-05-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Post Likes
    Do you have any info on this journeyman state of Idaho exam? I just moved here to Idaho.
    Last edited by stewyog; 12-05-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Post Likes
    Wisconsin has a ref. handling licence. No test or anything, they just want $$$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in