some questions on Trane
    Hello,

I have been lurking for awhile now since i was planning
    on replacing my 20 year old heat pump.
    Had 3 contractors give bids, 2 out of 3 did a manual j. The contractor who didn't was much lower in bid (no surprise huh) So it's between the manual j guys. Both bids very similar in price.
    I going to go with a 2 ton XLi 14 heat pump with variable speed air handler for sure. Now the question,
    one contractor said i would only need the 5/2 programable tstat and the other said the 7 day 500c. Of course i prefer the 500c but i am wondering why a trane dealer would even offer a 5/2 tsat with a variable air handler? doesn't the 500c have some comfort R settings where the 5/2 does not?
    Dealer said all the comfort R is done in the air handler. Beside the obvious benefits of the 500c does it do anything special involving a variable air handler on a Trane.

Anyway thanks to you guys on this board for making me a somewhat informed HO ha!

Comfort R is done at the air handler. Most likely the 5 plus 2 was that dealers preferred stat for some reason like easy programming or the dealer options. There are tons and tons of people every year that but a complicated 7 day sta because they like the idea or this or that, well then they try to operate it and can't get it to do what they want it to do or as easily as they would have liked it to have been. Guess what we get asked to remove the stat for something more basic and we can't even return the other stat because it's not broken but it has been on the wall. So we have the choice of eating the stat cost or charging a little for the new stat, but unless we eat the stat the h.o. is not happy. In their eyes we should refund them the difference between the cheaper stat and expensive stat. Unless you can put that stat on a wall somewhere in the near future for the same money you would have gotten from it you the contractor lose on this deal. Many dealers have gone to a less expensive 5+2 stat that is easy to operate and just as good in quality and performance. Also do you realy need a seven day stat? Many people have the same schedule the majority of the time and realy don't need the flexability of the 7 day stat. However there are those with a varied schedule that it works out well for. I have a customer that is a breakman for the I&M railroad, his schedule is different everyday and subject to change on 2 hours of notice. He had a 7 day stat and would make adjustments to the programming all of the time as his schedule changed. The littles pads behind the buttons on the circuit board wore through in 3 years. That was an extreme case.

Ask the contractors about installing a Honeywell Vision Pro thermostat. It can't be beat for ease of use, and looks great.

I was told a few weeks ago that Trane would have the Vision Pro with thier name on it soon, I'm not sure it is available yet though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Yes, it is available for heat pump use at least.

Does Trane actually produce any of their own thermosats or other controls? Or do they attach their name to everything Honeywell makes?

Originally posted by chillbilly
    Does Trane actually produce any of their own thermosats or other controls? Or do they attach their name to everything Honeywell makes?
    They do for a lot of the commercial stuff and the controller and sensors for thier zone system, but thier residential digital thermoastats are all Honeywell with the installer setup options customized for Trane.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.