Question

Was looking at a 2 ton Ruud 12 Seer heat pump and on the receiver/compensator tank that is between the Reversing valve and the disturbutor for the condensor coil, there is a small line that runs from the bottom of the receiver/compensator tank to a Tee that is between the liquid line dryer and the service valve, Any clues as to this lines purpose ???

Some of the high SEER Rheem/Ruud pumps use a charge compensator. Looks like a small accumulator. Not totally sure if that's part of what you are seeing or not.

"Some of the high SEER Rheem/Ruud pumps use a charge compensator. Looks like a small accumulator. Not totally sure if that's part of what you are seeing or not."

Yes its a charge compensator, the question is why does it have a 3rd line running off the side to a T in the liquid line ??

Because the vapor line runs through it but is not open inside it just passes through. The temperature of the vapor line (coming from outdoor coil)is either hot or cold depending on whether it is in heat or cooling mode. If it is hot (cooling mode), liquid from the line you mention stays out. If it is cold (heating mode) it draws liquid from the liquid line. The storage of refrigerant comes only from the liquid line.

Hope that explains it.

you already know that the outdoor coil is larger than the indoor coil, and handles more refrigerant. when the system switches to the heat mode, the indoor coil becomes the condenser and essentially you have too much refrigerant for the indoor coil (essentially overcharged). the compensator is used to balance the charge due to the difference in coil volume. hope this helps.
    when all else fails, scare the ---- thing into submission

Doc got the answer

:Because the vapor line runs through it but is not open inside :it just passes through. The temperature of the vapor line coming from outdoor coil)is either hot or cold depending on :whether it is in heat or cooling mode. If it is hot (cooling :mode), liquid from the line you mention stays out. If it is :cold (heating mode) it draws liquid from the liquid line. The :storage of refrigerant comes only from the liquid line.
    :Hope that explains it.

Doc that explains it, I was looking on Parker's webpage and the drawing of that receiver/comp tank looked like the suction line was just a str8 thru but I thought I was just looking at somthing wrong. As they say, it all makes sense now.

Bogus I understand the reason for the comp tank I just had never seen one that also had a vapor line thru it.

oh.
    when all else fails, scare the ---- thing into submission