I'm getting a 2 stage furnace and am interested in an air cleaner as well to help with my allergies. The two options I'm looking at are a HEPA filter (5") or an electronic air cleaner.

Practically speaking, does it matter which option I choose? The electronic one seems to be more maintenance (cleaning every 1-3 months) and I hear they can make annoying arcing sounds.

Any advice appreciated.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by andy_sj
    I'm getting a 2 stage furnace and am interested in an air cleaner as well to help with my allergies. The two options I'm looking at are a HEPA filter (5") or an electronic air cleaner.

Practically speaking, does it matter which option I choose? The electronic one seems to be more maintenance (cleaning every 1-3 months) and I hear they can make annoying arcing sounds.

Any advice appreciated.
    I say you heard right!

Now, the medias are more restrictive,and your furnace may not be able to handle that additional restriction in the duct system and still deliver the required air flow(cfms) for the equipment and your comfort.

I wouldn't buy one until they check the External Static Pressure of the duct system.Some will be knowledgable in this area and some won't,look around till you find someone that can "test" the duct system,and make changes to reduce the static if need be.

Thanks for the advice, dash -- much appreciated. I'll be looking into the media filters and ask my HVAC guy to check the static pressure.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Goggle on merv ratings ,to read about the way filters are rated.

You want a merv of 8 as a minimum,since a wet A/C coils is about a merv 6,you don't want the coil to be the best filter in the system.

Generally the higher the merv the higher the resistance.

This brand is rcognized by practically every HVAC contractor. If conditions as dash pointed out allow the installation, I would get info on it. http://www.aprilaire.com/category.as...722CD120E8C7F6
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

The best filter is a good vacuum cleaner used twice or more a week.