Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just purchased a new house and it came with a propane powered Goodman GMPN120-5 Unit. I did a bunch of research a few years ago when I had to replace the unit in my old house and the concensus at the time seemed to be that Goodman was not so good. I don't plan to just replace it right away but if it breaks and it's more than a minor issue I may want to just replace it. It's currently 8 years old. In my old house I had purchased a Trane heatpump with a variable speed motor. Every contractor I got an estimate from was brain washed to sell Trane. I know they make a good unit but they must do a good job of keeping you contractors happy also. The question is would I benefit to replace this unit by being more comfortable and paying less in fuel bills or is Goodman not as bad I they say.

Thanks

Rob

There are a lot of variables to consider here. That model Goodman furnace has done fine as long as the combustion air in the furnace area is not contaminated and as long as the propane conversion was done properly.

One concern I immediately have is the size of that furnace. That is a lot of furnace! What is that size of your home and what are the normal winter temperatures?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

A variable speed blower can save a bit on electrical costs but since you already have a 90+ it would be hard to expect any gas savings. A 2 stage or modulating gas valve would add to comfort.

Hard to justify taking out a 90 that isn't causing you any trouble just to remove it. Overall we haven't seen too many problems with the GMPNs.

The era of Goodman you have there does just what it is supposed to. It was an inexpensive unit that was intended to provide good service for about 10 years without spending much coin. The heat exchangers had issues with crimp rings popping off at the 8-10 year old range. This would possibly cause operating problems and perhaps under the right conditions allow carbon monoxide into your home, which is not good, but not super likely to happen before the unit quit operating properly. At this point it is a good idea to have it serviced each heating season, to keep an eye on those rings, and replace it rather than make any repairs other than minor. Just my opinion from my experiences from them. I have nothing bad to say about the units because as I siad they do exactly what they were supposed to and what the customer paid for.

As long as the GMPNs are not subjected to prolonged overtemperatures there will be not heat exchanger issues. This is why I asked about the size of the house. Most GMPNs I have seen that did not hold up were the 125,000 Btu models and literally everyone of them had gross overtemperature issues, like 95º - 110º temperature rise.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Rob, why would you replace a furnace that is running fine? If it is just because of the manufacturer it doesn't make any sense. If the unit was properly sized and installed and it has been running well all of this time it stands to reason it will keep going for you. There are a lot of people that would love to come in, 'clean' your furnace, condemn the thing and put in a new one for you. I replaced a furnace last year for a lady who should have spent her money elsewhere. Another contractor had told her that the unit had a cracked heat exchanger and was producing CO. Get this, she ran the unit for the rest of the winter with no problems. (If it was so bad, why didn't he red tag it??)Called me in and I did my best to prove to her that the unit was fine - I need business, but not the crooked kind - Even after giving her a little education and showing her it was fine, she asked me to replace it because she didn't feel comfortable with it. Rob, it runs, have someone do an analysis on it if you want - but relax a little - put in some extra insulation or a new window or something.

Unless you just like spending money why would you change a perfectly good unit? You should get 15 to 20 years out of that unit and if it breaks down as most do in that period simply repair it...dont replace it just because a part goes bad..lol. Stick with what you have and you will be a happyer and richer man for it.

Originally posted by hackmaster
    Unless you just like spending money why would you change a perfectly good unit? You should get 15 to 20 years out of that unit and if it breaks down as most do in that period simply repair it...dont replace it just because a part goes bad..lol. Stick with what you have and you will be a happyer and richer man for it.

Now Mr. Hack, That info is priceless.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Oh now mrbill....you know there is a price on everything.

Originally posted by hackmaster
    Oh now mrbill....you know there is a price on everything.

Yea just ask my wife!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Whatever you decide to do, be sure and install carbon monoxide detectors and keep the equipment serviced.

These things are NOT self-maintaining.

In response to some of the comments my house is currently 2200 square feet. This does not include the basement which I plan to finish very soon and will want to heat and cool it.

I really don't plan to replace this unit based on it's brand alone my concerns were the following.

Was the unit sized for 2200 square only a will it be able to handle the basement which will add an additional 1000 square feet or so.

Also I'm concerned that I'm wasting money due to lack of efficiency.

Also that the unit will not provide the comfort level I desire. I have only been in te house for 1 week and the average outside temp has been very arount 60 or so and as a result we have not really had a chance to see if it works.

I live in Baltimore which can be very humid in the summer averaging temps in the high 90s. In the winter it can sometime get down to 0. We experience both extremes here on a yearly basis.

Thanks for all the comments

Rob

Depending on construction type, insulation, tighness and exposures and other variables that would need to be checked I'm betting that 120,000 btu/h unit will do just fine, but you will want to get a load calculation performd to find out for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast