Hi there,

First off I want to say I appreciate the feedback I've read on this sight. It reminds me of some other professional orginization's technical help forums. An excellent resource.

Anyway, we are considering a furnace replacement before finishing our basement. I figure that before I build a closet around it, it would be worth it to replace the existing system with more modern and efficient one. A new system would also satisfy the problems with combustion air, as I could get a direct vent furnace. We also plan to zone for the basement and for the second floor to take care of some imbalance in the heating levels (3 zones total).

We currently have a 20 yr old Heil NG forced hot air furnace (105K btu) and what I beleive is a 3.5ton Heil outdoor compressor unit. The house is in CT and is an 1800 sq ft contemporary. The finished basement will add another 1000 sq ft.

We have both Trane and Carrier quotes, both of which are very expensive. So before I make the leap, I thought I would get some opinion on the options to keep what I have running for another 20 yrs.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave