Hybrid View

Hi there,

First off I want to say I appreciate the feedback I've read on this sight. It reminds me of some other professional orginization's technical help forums. An excellent resource.

Anyway, we are considering a furnace replacement before finishing our basement. I figure that before I build a closet around it, it would be worth it to replace the existing system with more modern and efficient one. A new system would also satisfy the problems with combustion air, as I could get a direct vent furnace. We also plan to zone for the basement and for the second floor to take care of some imbalance in the heating levels (3 zones total).

We currently have a 20 yr old Heil NG forced hot air furnace (105K btu) and what I beleive is a 3.5ton Heil outdoor compressor unit. The house is in CT and is an 1800 sq ft contemporary. The finished basement will add another 1000 sq ft.

We have both Trane and Carrier quotes, both of which are very expensive. So before I make the leap, I thought I would get some opinion on the options to keep what I have running for another 20 yrs.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

Originally posted by redbird53
    Hi there,

We have both Trane and Carrier quotes, both of which are very expensive. So before I make the leap, I thought I would get some opinion on the options to keep what I have running for another 20 yrs.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

You can't get that, or any furnace that is 20 yrs old, to go for another 20 yrs. 1) The efficiency you lose over this time would pay for 2 units installed today. 2) the cost of the upkeep and parts and labor over that 20 yrs would about equal todays cost of replacement. 3) if you sell your house during the next 20 yrs, would a new furnace be a plus or a minus?

Do quotes you have cover extended warranty? Good investment with todays units.

Both brands you mention are good models and efficient.

Building around furnace, hmmm, allowing enough room for maintenance?

I assume quotes include extra ductwork and zoning added?
    Hey, labor ain't cheap, and don't you be. Comfort costs.
    Sing on the dotted line.