Thread: Toolbags

I've had my old leather toolbag since I started doing A/C work 30 plus years ago. Had quite a scare last week. Somehow, I left it at the jobsite. Thankfully, it was there when I rushed back, because I had hung it on the inside of the fence at the townhomes, instead of the outside. How long have you had yours? I can always tell the newbies by the shininess of their toolbag.

I use buckets. I use the Klein bucket buddy. I replace the bucket every 2 or 3 years and the bucket boss every year. I do have some tools older than myself though. I am a second generation hvac technician. I have some of my grandfathers tube cuttters, a charging cylindr, some guages and many hand tools that are 30+ year old. I am only 29.

I had gotten a nice Snap On toolbox with all the tools I needed in tech school 12 years ago.
    On summer break after my 1st semester I was working as a helper at a local company a few miles from the house.
    I was so proud of my toolbox and tools and the guys all made fun of them being new and shiny.
    One day we were leaving a job site and heard a loud BANG hit the road as we were pulling out of the driveway.
    Some smart alec thought it was funny to put my box on the gate and let it fall of onto the road, then the crew behind us ran it over too!
    When I went back to class after break, the instructors wouldn't stop laughing every time they saw the box!
    Everyone elses was still new and clean and mine looked like it went through 20 years in the field!
    I just picked up a new box 4 months ago. It brought a tear to my eye to let old trusty go....
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

I use a bucket boss also. It's due to be changed as it's going on five years old. The pockets have holes in them and the top is deteriorating where it holds the weight. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I'm not too keen on toolbags. I find myself digging too much. I do have one bag that hold my grinder and one that holds welding tools. But for everyday use...I'll use the bucket boss.
    Get back to work.™

I've had my tool bag.... humm, around a year now. The "drill bag" (millwalkee contractors bag) is roughly 3-4 years old though.

My nail apron is almost 5 years old and going strong.

I have a bucket boss for doing install work. I had my first leather tool pouch for 20+ years. A couple of years ago my van was broken into and it was taken along with a bag of instruments, sawzall, a brand new dewalt cordless drill, an older dewalt cordless drill among other things. The thing that hurt the worst was losing my beloved tool pouch. I've been through a couple new ones that are close but they just aren't the same. That pouch probably had a million miles and a million dollars behind it. Wonder where it is now?
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I have a Husky tote I bought about 6 mths ago nice with lots of pockets around the sides and a large open area in the middle that holds several meters and misc. Gets a little heavy sometimes though it measures about 24" long. and about 10" wide.

I have three bags & four tool boxs need to get more of them I love tools I buy them all the time.

press1 is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    I replace mine every time something new comes out. I like to shoot service with a small bag that holds my meter, a 6-in-1 driver, a pocket screwdriver for t-stats, stripper/crimper pliers, and a small cresent wrench.

Aside from needing guages once in a while, that gets me through most anything.

Recently purchased the CLC tool backpack. Holds alot and the cordless and is great when working on rooftops.
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

Klien electrician leather bag. Tried several things and have always gone back at the leather tool pouch bag.

The best tool bag I have had was one from Target Greatland. It was sold as a fisherman's canvas bag. Only problem was the quality was poor, zippers broke, and bag plastic parts also broke even tho I never really loaded it heavy. Lasted a year. Side pockets were large enough to hold meters, etc.

Now, I go with smaller canvas bags with shoulder straps and yes, they look new cause I get a new one every other year. Have one for furnace work and one for A/C work. http://www.duluthtrading.com has some nice ones.

"I can always tell the newbies by the shininess of their toolbag."

May be true but I try to please the lady of the house on service calls and banging a large toolbox or bucket on chairs and doorways doesn't exactly please her. In this trade being organized and seemingly competent is a plus. Not that it is true in my case however.

[Edited by MikeJ on 04-15-2005 at 06:31 AM]