Which Goodman coil is right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm planning to have a Goodman GMV90905DXA gas furnace installed with a CLQ30-1 Air Conditioner. My Heat Loss is 82,132 and Heat gain is 28,521. The question is which painted cased coil should be used? If I look at the performance ratings in the CLQ specs, it shows the CA*X061*2* with the G*V90905D** at 15 Seer. Is this the recommended combination or only one that they publish the performance specs for? Should the coil case demensions match the furnace demensions or how do you match them up? I haven't been able to find any Goodman documentation that discusses how to pick the coil. I am also assuming that I want a TVX coil. Right?

Any feedback and enlightenment would be appreciated.

If you're "planning to have a Goodman GMV90905DXA gas furnace installed with a CLQ30-1 Air Conditioner" installed by a contractor, should he not already know which evaporator coil is the best match for this system?

You'll want the installer to put in a thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) onto the indoor coil if you're aiming for better than average performance of your system (along with properly sized ductwork).

If you're doing this yourself, I'm afraid the consensus of posters here adhere to the forum rules; no DIY questions.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

No DIY on this. I am having a dealer install it. I guess the questions are part of my engineering background and a desire to know as much about a product as I can before I buy. I'm more curious to understand how coils are matched to the furnace/AC unit. This is being installed in an existing house with no ductwork changes.

All that research and Goodman came out on top as the best choice ???

Actually Amana was the top choice with the all stainless heat exchange. Problem is the only Amana dealer in my area is someone I prefer not to do business with. The Goodman dealer is someone I've known for a long time and trust. He even attempted to get an Amana for me since he knows the other dealer and the the distributor handles both Goodman and Amana. After first agreeing to allowing my dealer to also become an Amana dealer, since he was more interested in selling Trane, he changed his mind and refused to give up his exclusive. As far as I can tell, exceprt for the SS and the ignitor, there is little other difference between the two.

Do you have a better suggesting based on your research?

i'm curious.

what provoked you to choose amana/goodman after all of your research?

The initial interest was from info I got here. Originally I was planning to have a Trane installed. My long time dealer friend kept telling me how impressed he was with Goodman's direction and purchase of Amana. After more discussions here, the view of Trane was not as good and the view of Goodman seemed to be greatly improved. The warranty also seems to be unbeatable.

have you heard of "Consumers Reports"?

just because they have a "good" warranty won't help on a 100 deg. week, when the installer is so backed up your the 100th customer on is list.

good luck

I smell DIY all over this....
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

I wish that I was physically able to do it myself but that just is not possible. It will definitely be professionally installed. Any thing else you smell Yellow Dot?

billva,
    What does Consumer Reports say? Also how much of their rating is based on 5 or even 10 yrar old model performance and reliability. You certainly must have some opinion what is best. Could it be the brand you install?

Originally posted by holabr
    I wish that I was physically able to do it myself but that just is not possible. It will definitely be professionally installed. Any thing else you smell Yellow Dot?

billva,
    What does Consumer Reports say? Also how much of their rating is based on 5 or even 10 yrar old model performance and reliability. You certainly must have some opinion what is best. Could it be the brand you install?
    consumers reports has rated goodman at the bottom for at least the last 6 yrs. granted, that may be because cheap people get cheap installers and end up with a cheap system.

as for the 5-10 yr. models, that is what we work on most. there was/is a thread in the wall of shame titled "goodman country", i urge you to read it.

what is best is determined by the situation and the abilities of the installerss. and no, it may not be our brand.

My point is that the current models of Goodman are far superior to the models of 5 or even 2 years ago. Where did Amana appear on Consumer Reports list? The current Goodman's are really Amana technology and in no way should be compared to earlier Goodman models. My dealer friend is also impressed by the availability of parts from Goodman as well as their use of many non-proprietary parts that are available through any supply house.

Originally posted by holabr
    My dealer friend is also impressed by the availability of parts from Goodman
    enough said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast