Here's the scoop...

I have sometimes thought "what would I do if I could not find work in my field"? In other words, what other line of work would I like to try out instead in case I'm SOL for finding work in my current field?

Well HVAC work has sorta interested me a lot. Not so much for the physical work of climbing into small crawl spaces, bad air circulation or none at all, getting shocked or cut, dealing with arrogant homeowners, etc., but I do realize all that stuff comes with the job. What does interest me though is more along the lines of the technical aspect of the job, the selection of an appropriate system, the electrical wiring of it, getting it charged with refrigerant properly, etc. Those sorta things are what interest me.

So in the event I'm SOL in what I do now, what would be a good route to go in getting started in this field? I was thinking go to a community college and take some courses in heating/refrigeration, then try to get apprenticed by an existing small outfit.

What do you think?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Check with ACCA to see when the might have classes in your area for Manuals,J,D and S.Your votech or Community College might have them.This will get you started with the design of residential sytems.

Originally posted by txnoob
    Here's the scoop...
    What does interest me though is more along the lines of the technical aspect of the job, the selection of an appropriate system, the electrical wiring of it, getting it charged with refrigerant properly, etc. Those sorta things are what interest me.
    What do you think?
    You might fit in better as a salesman or rep. for an a/c company.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Also look into your area's Sheet Metal Worker's Union and see if they are taking apprentices. You'll get shooling and on the job training.

Another union that covers HVAC-R is the United Association of journeyman Plumbers and Steamfitters and apprentices. I joined about 1 yr ago. Its a 5 yr apprentichip program. Threr is sure to be a local near you. Its a great program Im so glad I joined. They teach you everything from refrigeration, hydronic heating, electrical,controls,welding, a/c ,soldering, brazing, pipefitting, plumbing, basically every aspect of the HVAC-R industry. By the time you become a journey man you are the BEST OF THE BEST. And the money is the best part

try the sheet metal workers or pipe fitters union and they will train you
    i am sure things havent changed much so bear in mind it is not a walk in the park. you will be put to the test and will have to pay your does just like the rest of us did but it was worth it
    i and others like me earned the right to call ourselves tinknockers and take pride in it to.
    as with any trade it takes time and a lot of learning on and off the job. those that make it through it and realy learn find it to be rewarding. service go to school and work for a service co. you will find in time if you present your self a certain way the people will pick up on it and even those hard to take coustomers will be not so hard at all just concerned and worried.
    you gain thier trust be the way you act and handle your self. and that is a good fealing to