Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honeywell Thermostat

Post Likes
    Over the winter I replaced my old analog unit with a new Honeywell VisionPro (8000 series) and have a question.

Now that I am using the AC I am noticing that my AC unit is clicking on much my frequently then before but not stay on quit as long. I noticed that it never goes above or below the set temp. Is this normal for a digital thermostat? Especially the more frequent turnon’s?

BTW - I have a Traine Multi Stage heat pump if that matters.

Felix

Post Likes

Thumbs up Honeywell t stat

yes sir ,the digital t stats are far more accurate than the analog(mercury bulb) t stats. Anyways isnt taht what you want?

Post Likes
    sorry I meant to type isnnt that what you want. Also are you possitive that it is running more often, did you pay that much attn to how many times it ran when you had the old t stat? It is not un-common for a unit to turn on 5 or 6 times per hour all depending on how hot it is outside . Count how many times it turns on in one hour and let me know.

Post Likes
    Yes I do, but I wanted to make sure this was normal and not hooked up incorrectly.

Now they claim on the box you can save 33% on your electric bill, I know this is somewhat far fetched but from last years bill in a given month can I expect it to go up or down if I were to use the same set temp?

Thanks,
    Felix

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wonder_boy
    sorry I meant to type isnnt that what you want. Also are you possitive that it is running more often, did you pay that much attn to how many times it ran when you had the old t stat? It is not un-common for a unit to turn on 5 or 6 times per hour all depending on how hot it is outside . Count how many times it turns on in one hour and let me know.
    Yea I'd probably say 5-6 times for about for about 5 minutes each time.

I don't remeber my old unit coming on that much but then again it did not have that loud of a click from the tstat as this one does.

Felix

Post Likes
    Read up on the stat. You may be able to change the Cycles Per Hour from say 6 down to 3. You may incur a temp swing of a degree or 2 by this change but if you are concerned with Start/Stop issues it may be worth considering.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I wouldnt be suprised if you saved some dough now that you changed t stats, that is if you programmed it .Example: 70 deg f when house is occupied during day. 76-78 when house is un occupied and late at night when you are asleep.Or something like that.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by h2045
    Read up on the stat. You may be able to change the Cycles Per Hour from say 6 down to 3. You may incur a temp swing of a degree or 2 by this change but if you are concerned with Start/Stop issues it may be worth considering.
    Not really concerned about the cycles, or should I be? Is this bad for the system?

No way to change the cycle time with this Tstat!

Felix

Post Likes
    Yes, you can change the cycle per hour for cooling and also for the heating part.. it tells you in the manual.

Post Likes
    when you call the installer for your annual spring maintenence, have him set the cycle rate.

should take all of 2 seconds.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mayguy
    Yes, you can change the cycle per hour for cooling and also for the heating part.. it tells you in the manual.
    Nowhere in the book does it state how to do this.

Felix

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    when you call the installer for your annual spring maintenence, have him set the cycle rate.

should take all of 2 seconds.

good luck.
    Running 5-6 times an hour is this even necessary? And am I correct it's not in my manual or am I missing somethinf.

Felix

Post Likes
    I have found how to change the cycle rate but it is not available for my system: 2 stage heat pump.

Is there any down side to have the system turning on and off so often?

Felix

Post Likes
    You need to go into "Installer Setup" screen, then go to to #220 (Cycler per hour) it should be set to 3.

With the compressor cycling that much in an hour is hard on it.. start/stop/start/stop

Post Likes
    I do not have a 220, only a 240 listed in the book (thats the cycle rate) but that option in not available to me as my system is a heat pump.

So I guess I'm stuck or is there another way to change it?

Would you recommened I go back to my old analog unit?

Felix

[Edited by nyrfan on 04-15-2005 at 06:32 AM]

Post Likes
    Ok, I set mine over to heat pump and I still show #220.

What is your system set up on #170? Option should be 11 or 12 w/ aux heat.

Post Likes
    Funny, my 170 is set to 7, heat pump with aux.

The manual does not even show and option for 220 goes with from 190 (set to 0) to 240, which again is the cycle rate but it does not come up in the setting menu jumps right to 320 - F/C setting.

I know there are a ton of different model #'s for the VisionPro, mine is the RTD8500D if that helps.

Felix

[Edited by nyrfan on 04-15-2005 at 11:36 AM]

Post Likes
    mayguy,

Here is the link to my owners manual:

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/69-1725.pdf

I'd really appreciate your input.

Thank you,
    Felix

Post Likes
    go to #170 and change it to 12 from 7 since you have a multi-stage heatpump. then go to # 220-270 and make your adjustments. Right now you've only got 1 stage unless it's wired incorrectly(jumpered).
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by smokin68
    go to #170 and change it to 12 from 7 since you have a multi-stage heatpump. then go to # 220-270 and make your adjustments. Right now you've only got 1 stage unless it's wired incorrectly(jumpered).
    smokin,

Did you look at my manual, I don't even have an option for 12, 7 is my heat pump with aux. Look at page 30 for option 170.

Look at my manual posted above and advise if I'm missing something

Felix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in