Lately I've been seeing everyone saying what the best on the market now is.
    I don't see it. Makes me wonder, when I see Heil, Goodman etc. listed in here as the best. I don't think so, not when Carrier, Trane and a few others put all the effort into making a better one and the others main deal is upgrading their Dumb Valve. ooops smart valve... Sorry Go out and look at some units and you CAN'T TELL ME THAT YOU CAN'T SEE A DIFFERENCE EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS IN THAT FURNACE!!! Many a time I have taken a customer out and had him look at the difference and he takes that Trane after seeing them. He may not know how to even work the thermostat but he can see a quality difference. This comes without sayin a word about comfort R Which is Trane only. etc. etc. It seems that years ago when the popular thing was to block off an orifice to lower the btu's on the furnace turned out they don't recommend that because its hard on the heat exchanger and long behold some company's two stage furnaces block off two orifices to get the low fire. Sorry this is WRONG IN MY BOOK!!! Goodman comes up with a longer run in their vent motor which is good... but opens up the trap which is bad. Cabinets are shorter so ya don't notice as easy the weak cabinet. etc. etc. etc. If you keep saying its the install that hurts em....which sometimes it is sometimes it aint..... Trane And Carrier should last forever with a good install. They all break down but some break down a lot more and you guys know it. But of course this is just my opinion.. And I know that they'll be pouncing but it gets hard to swallow time after time your telling these people that come here that don't know about furnaces and your sending them down a wrong trail. I could make a lot more money selling these cheaper furnaces to these people that don't know that there is a BIG price difference and sell them at a HUGE profit but I don't want them coming back in a year, ready to lynch me. I sell them..... but I tell them what they are getting. Sorry if I'm stepping on toes here.

As long as Trane is sold at home depot, I will steer everyone I know away from that name.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

You can't buy one from Home Depot... You still have to contact a dealer thru them. Home Depot wants a percentage is all. Kind of like Carrier and Sears. But when the customer checks with a dealer NOT thru home depot and see's he'll save a lot more money, they seem to steer away from Home Depot. Does this mean Rigid tools quality went down because home depot has em?

I understand how they are marketed and sold through home depot and I dont like it and tools are not equipment. Home depot is a middle man with a big nose trying to make a profit in our trade. It should be manufacturor-wholsaler-dealer-customer not manufacturor-wholesaler-homedepot-dealer-customer. You cant have to many cooks in the kitchen.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

I stopped reading the OPs run on diatribe when I got the rant on smart valves, since Carrier also used them.

Every brand has had issues and most brands have had decent innovations at one time or another.

Technologically, the most advanced furnace for comfort is the Rheem/Ruud modulating furnace. The highest efficiency and best heat exchanger performance goes to Amana. I believe that currently the quietest furnace is one of the Yorks (Something I have heard, don't know first hand), supposedly Carrier currently has the better accesory control system. Dollar for dollar "best" for the money you spend, Goodman is a hard act to compete with.

"Best" is a difficult concept to pin down sometimes.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Actually, Lennox has the quietest gas furnace....and air conditioner, A claim they would not make unless they can back it up.

I would never buy a Trane simply because they are available through Home Depot. Ditto for Carrier and Sears. I have a John Deere lawn tractor, but I'll never buy another one since Home Depot started selling their low line units under that name. In the long run, and you can go ahead and believe whatever the Trane and Carrier folks tell you, it's going to hurt business.

[Edited by southside johnny on 04-14-2005 at 02:31 PM]

Talking The best furnace is...............

The one that is sized properly and installed correctly!

Re: The best furnace is...............

Originally posted by knippknipp
    The one that is sized properly and installed correctly!
    Motion seconded.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV